Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 Shadow Orange

Quack

There are so many CZ models out there.

Is this "better" than the stnd shadow?

Assuming this would be production/SSP legal?

I guess for SSP you'd have to manually decock it.

I've been wanting a shadow for a while now. I've read the description for the orange but it just says its basically got a fit barrel.

How's the trigger?

Can it be worked?

Any reason to buy another model?

Sorry for all the questions.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

There are so many CZ models out there.

Is this "better" than the stnd shadow?

Assuming this would be production/SSP legal?

I guess for SSP you'd have to manually decock it.

I've been wanting a shadow for a while now. I've read the description for the orange but it just says its basically got a fit barrel.

How's the trigger?

Can it be worked?

Any reason to buy another model?

Sorry for all the questions.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

The trigger "should" be improved as it comes with a comp hammer it appears.

The buffer is not in the base shadow

The rear sight is different.

The barrel to bushing fit should increase accuracy (whether that's accu territory I won't say)

orange aluminum grips and base pads vs. rubber.

A Shadow Custom is a little bit cheaper and is missing the base pads ($60-100 depending on springers vs. Shock bottle)

It's IPSC legal where the shadow custom is not.

Actually Shadow Custom is, ACCU and Target are not.

Shadow Custom is not on IPSC Production Division List, so it is not approved. CZ Custom Shop models are especially not approved :blush: .

It's IPSC legal where the shadow custom is not.

Actually Shadow Custom is, ACCU and Target are not.

Shadow Custom is not on IPSC Production Division List, so it is not approved. CZ Custom Shop models are especially not approved :blush: .

SP01 Shadow is, if you look at the work done, it is all legal under IPSC rules.

You can use parts from listed guns, but also the name of your creation must be on the list. CZ 75 Shadow and CZ 75 Shadow Custom are not listed. I think you should ask Vince Pinto's opinion at Global Village to make it officially approved.

You can use parts from listed guns, but also the name of your creation must be on the list. CZ 75 Shadow and CZ 75 Shadow Custom are not listed. I think you should ask Vince Pinto's opinion at Global Village to make it officially approved.

Not an IPSC guy but the name is Shadow, and it's been slicked up with OEM parts. The shadow Custom isn't a CZ SKU at present, so how is it any different than a shadow sent to CZC to have the action worked over? I would argue it isn't, as it's not a factory configuration of the pistol. I am not an IPSC guy, but I wanted to be sure my pistol was ready to go if I decided to be and I believe it is

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

The names need to match pretty exactly. CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow is approved, but CZ 75 Shadow is not. They are different guns. It took same time to get CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Orange listed and it is the same gun with the same text on slide as CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow.

Orange is a different factory configuration hence different weight leaving the factory. I believe that's why

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

IPSC doesn't show weights on the production list.

CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow 2012 was approved in 2012, but when CZ UB renamed it in 2013 to CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Orange it wasn't anymore. It took some time and mails to get it's name changed also on the list. Because neither "2012" nor "Orange" was stamped on the slide, all this was based only on marketing material. In this case Mr. Pinto said:

A very simple rule: if a particular model is not specifically listed as Approved on the list, it's not approved. If CZUB treat the subject gun as a separate model, it must be approved separately

USPSA might be more flexible.

I'm not sure what all this "legality" discussion is about CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow "Orange".

Clearly, the markings on the slide are "CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow 9x19".

https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-production-gunlist.phpclearly shows "CZ75 SP-01 Shadow 9mm 4.72" (42 oz.)" on the list under CZ

http://www.ipsc.org/rules/proddiv.phpclearly shows " CZ75 SP-01 Shadow,, CZ75 SP-01 Shadow Orange"

So what was the concern again?

IPSC doesn't show weights on the production list.

CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow 2012 was approved in 2012, but when CZ UB renamed it in 2013 to CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Orange it wasn't anymore. It took some time and mails to get it's name changed also on the list. Because neither "2012" nor "Orange" was stamped on the slide, all this was based only on marketing material. In this case Mr. Pinto said:

A very simple rule: if a particular model is not specifically listed as Approved on the list, it's not approved. If CZUB treat the subject gun as a separate model, it must be approved separately

USPSA might be more flexible.

Right but the Shadow Custom doesn't show up on the CZUB website, or the CZUSA site, which makes it a product sold by CZC that's a slicked up shadow, does it not? So takes us back to modifying an approved gun with CZUB parts, which makes it legal, right?

http://www.czub.cz/en/produkty/pistole.html

http://cz-usa.com/product-category/handguns/75-85-series/

If the name of the gun is not on the list, it is not approved. CZ Custom shop variants are especially not approved.

What we're talking about is really nuanced to the point where I believe it's probably unenforceable. All of the mods discussed on the Shadow Custom are legal per IPSC, it's not a SKU for CZUB, or CZUSA. The models they forbid have physical modification to the slide or frame that is a departure from the CZUB factory production model. The Shadow Custom is identical, it just has tuned action.

If I take a legal IPSC legal gun, and send it to a gun smith for an action job using OEM parts that are legal, the result is a legal IPSC gun. That's all the Shadow Custom is. It'd be impossible for someone to prove or disprove that their gun is legal/illegal outside of the parts that are visible being OEM. The test target in the box will still be for a 91154, the label on the box will still be for 91154, the difference is Angus and his crew have breathed on it.

It's pretty much impossible to prove either way, at an equipment check I can't imagine it'd even come up. You'd know better than I in that regard.

It is not only the Custom model missing from the list. Also the CZ 75 Shadow is missing.

You can use a CZ 75 frame and a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow slide to make a similar gun. It would have "CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow" stamped on the slide, so this would be its name. This name is on the list, so that part is ok. Unfortunately CZ 75 frames are not available as OFM standard equipment or option. The IPSC production division rule D4 16. would not be met.

If the name of the gun is not on the list, it is not approved. CZ Custom shop variants are especially not approved.

What we're talking about is really nuanced to the point where I believe it's probably unenforceable. All of the mods discussed on the Shadow Custom are legal per IPSC, it's not a SKU for CZUB, or CZUSA. The models they forbid have physical modification to the slide or frame that is a departure from the CZUB factory production model. The Shadow Custom is identical, it just has tuned action.

If I take a legal IPSC legal gun, and send it to a gun smith for an action job using OEM parts that are legal, the result is a legal IPSC gun. That's all the Shadow Custom is. It'd be impossible for someone to prove or disprove that their gun is legal/illegal outside of the parts that are visible being OEM. The test target in the box will still be for a 91154, the label on the box will still be for 91154, the difference is Angus and his crew have breathed on it.

It's pretty much impossible to prove either way, at an equipment check I can't imagine it'd even come up. You'd know better than I in that regard.

I'm not 100% on IPSC rules, but isn't polishing parts (other than to fit them) technically against the rules?

Wouldn't the trigger job CZC does be illegal because of that?

I think you are going off on a tangent. I do shoot IPSC and this issue has come up before.

What is the model name on the factory warranty certificate ?

Are all the parts fitted CZ OEM parts ?

Fitting is fine, polishing is not allowed.

No issue.

Edited by BMaus