Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which is better?

BARRYJ

Are you shooting known or unknown distance? If you know the exact range all you have to worry about is wind, go for the highest BC to defeat it. If it's unknown I would lean towards the lighter bullets to flatten trajectory as you now have to guess for wind and elevation. You'll lose some in the wind with the lighter bullets but everything is a compromise.

In my experience, neither. The Sierra 130 SPs grouped tightly (3/4moa) out to 200 and shot well to 600 yards. The 150 SSTs did not give consistent accuracy. I had the most consistency with Sierra 135 SMK and Hornady 140 SST loads all the way to 1000 yards even if their BCs were lower than the 150s and even though they only gave me 1.25 moa groups at 200.

Could be my Savage 114's barrel twist 1-10" was a bit slow for the 150s.

you are asking a very broad question. I might ask you to consider a few other variables to help you make your decision and perhaps where to do some more research: Consider the BCs and the attainable accuracy and velocity of the bullets in question with the components you have available. Given two bullets of the same construction, heavier bullets will produce more down range energy most of the time. Higher BC bullets, which are not the same thing always as heavier bullets, retain velocity better. Research the twist of your barrel. Given you are shooting a .270 its not likely a target rifle so you will have a little more trouble finding information; I sincerely doubt you will have issues with retaining sufficient velocity or rotation to remain supersonic and stable at 800.

If you are talking about 500-800 with match BTHP bullets, I would look at getting the higher BC bullet to shoot well and go with that for longer ranges but run the numbers on JMB as well.