Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you think?

ScottySimpson

Gents/Ladies,

I have been shooting USPSA/Steel Challenge for the past 2 years and have become slightly addicted to the sport. I started with a Colt Rail Gun in SS division and quickly purchased a Dawson Precision CRP STI Edge in 40 S&W. I love developing my own loads and working/breaking/repairing my own guns as I learn. I have been contemplating picking up an Open Division pistol to play around with in Steel Challenge and gradually transition to when I can no longer track the front sight. I have researched the differences in 38 SC/9mm Major and come to the conclusion that both are expensive as one requires pricey brass while the other powder; and although 9mm brass is readily available you must spend more time sorting headstamps to maintain a relative OAL for PF consistency. I am shopping for a project Gun and I need some advice from those who have been where I am. Would you take the chance on a used gun or save up for something ready to rock? It took me quite a while to figure out what I preferred in a Limited Pistol, so I am betting it will be the same in Open. This is why I am not sure I want to drop $4K+ on something I may not prefer and end up with a mortgage on after I modify it to my liking. Thank you for any suggestions you can offer and have a great Memorial Day weekend.

$2500 for a new TruBor - your choice of calibers.

Order it, new, today, and you'll be shooting it in less than

two weeks. Want to spend $7,000 for your dream gun,

and take two years for it to be built? No problem, you

can shoot the TruBor while you're waiting.

And, when you get the Super Gun, you'll still have th

TruBor as a backup gun.

I prefer the 9mm Major - have been shooting it for 9 years

without a glitch. (I don't sort headstamps - but there are

some headstamps I won't reload since the primer pockets

are tight or crimped).

I would go with a good used gun. You can find them at good prices sometimes and that would leave you with some extra cash to change things to your liking. Or another option is to go with a lesser known gunsmith and have him/her build one to your specs. There is a lot of good smiths around that are only known by local people. Are there guns as good as the well known builders? Probably not, but they are good guns and there's not a 2 year wait and less pricey. If you ask around I'm sure someone could point you in the direction of a good local smith and you will probably shoot just as good with it as a one from a big name builder.

Just my two cents worth.

I'd say peruse the classifieds on this forum for a good used 2011 of some type. A off the shelf sTI is ok, a ck arms even nicer still but buying used saves a decent bit of change. You can shoot and modify that gun for a while and then perhaps later get something made the way you like.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your replies. I have decided to save up and by the time I figure out what I want I will have the funds to purchase/build it. Probably going with a 9 major since I have several other pistols which utilize this caliber. Thanks again for everything and have a great week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk