Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Shooting without reloading

I was thinking about getting a Open Blaster to play around with. I am a OK shooter but slow as heck lol. So that being said If you couldn't reload and wanted to shoot open what would you get? I was thinking gold team 9mm. I could shoot 9mm minor and then if I ended up reloading I could do 9mm major. Is that the best option?

If you're not going to reload I suggest mounting a red dot on a 9mm Limited, you'll save ~$600, it will shoot just as flat as the Gold Team, plus if you decide to start reloading you can do a custom build which will perform better than a GT, like this:

_20151107_092416_zps0uvx3wkv.jpg

I have reloaded before I was loading match grade 223 for a rifle I had. But sold my whole setup. I don't have much free time with a 1.5 year old son. Plus we are getting ready to move.

Get a place with space to reload!

I went cheap with a lee loadmaster. They take a LOT of love to run 9mm decently, but run 40 just fine. I probably should have gone w a better press, but its done 20k already and for the ~$350-400 (two calibers, spare parts and repairs) it's saved $2000. Actually, it saved nothing... as I shoot 2x more with the same budget.

I have reloaded before I was loading match grade 223 for a rifle I had. But sold my whole setup. I don't have much free time with a 1.5 year old son. Plus we are getting ready to move.

I went cheap with a lee loadmaster. They take a LOT of love to run 9mm decently, but run 40 just fine. I probably should have gone w a better press, but its done 20k already and for the ~$350-400 (two calibers, spare parts and repairs) it's saved $2000. Actually, it saved nothing... as I shoot 2x more with the same budget.

Once you get the Loadmaster dialed in it runs great. I have loaded 10s of thousands of rounds on mine with just the occasional failure to prime. Maybe 1 round in 500 will fail to pickup a primer. I load all my 9 major on it as well as minor loads. Load .40s on it as well. I use case lube and the thing runs like butter, easy pull on the handle and I can run it as fast as I can pull the handle. Hopper holds enough HS6 to load 300 8.6gr rounds before refilling and if you buy a bunch of the primer reservoirs you can really crank out some rounds in an hour.

I will definitely have a room lol. I stole my wifes walk-in closet at out current house for my gun room lol

If you're not going to reload I suggest mounting a red dot on a 9mm Limited, you'll save ~$600, it will shoot just as flat as the Gold Team, plus if you decide to start reloading you can do a custom build which will perform better than a GT, like this:

_20151107_092416_zps0uvx3wkv.jpg

Where are you finding someone to custom build a Tanfoglio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bamabound

FWIW, I too am slow. At 70 I also have old eyes and neuropathy of the hands. As a poor retired type I didn't want to invest my beer money in a Ferrari that I can't run anyway so I put a Carver Hunter mount on my Limited XDM in 40 S&W with a Springer trigger and rear slide cover slide racker. Added an Aimpoint scope w/ variable brightness and 4 size selectable dot. I use Dawson mag extensions for feeding 18 trouble free rounds. No comp. Also got one of Carvers modified race holsters and run major PF w/ about any over the counter ammo which feeds and ejects 100% and is accurate enough for USPSA and Steel. On the heavy side but dot barely leaves screen. Likely out of spec for Level II matches and above but I only shoot local club matches anyway. I have conversion pieces and mags to run 9MM for Steel but really haven't found the need. I call it my FrankenBlaster. Race guns can be "rat rods" too. :cheers:

I would add my current shooters are 9mm limited Pro and 40sw Limited

In that case just put a dot on your Limited, then you'll get the benefit of major scoring.

This gives me a idea! I could put my limited pro upper on the Limited and red dot it for a open minor 9mm!