Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Carbide Dies Set - Any Good?

chp5

I can get a set of Lee's carbide dies on the cheap (I'm not talking about the FCD, I'm talking about the standard carbide set).

Are these dies any good? I'd use them on a 650. Thanks.

The set I have for 44mag/spl. work fine. The others in rifle calibers are okay for normal shooting, but if you want the smallest possible bullet run-out out I would sugest Redding. Assuming yours are for pistol, I would think they'll do fine.

Thanks Steven.  The Lee dies aren't too shot for the 550 toolhead?

You need to screw them down all the way and use the Dillon lock rings...but they WILL work if you do that. I've never had mine loosen up or anything like that.

I use Lee dies in my 550 too, for both .45 and 9mm and I even use the Lee locking rings. A bit of a pain to set it up, but you only need to do it once so who cares.

I use Lee dies in my 550 too, for both .45 and 9mm and I even use the Lee locking rings.  A bit of a pain to set it up, but you only need to do it once so who cares.

I've heard that some people actually put the lock ring underneath the tool head. That seems wierd.

I use Lee dies in my 550 too, for both .45 and 9mm and I even use the Lee locking rings.  A bit of a pain to set it up, but you only need to do it once so who cares.

I've heard that some people actually put the lock ring underneath the tool head. That seems wierd.

That's what you have to do with some of them. They will work just fine. I love Dillon, but sometimes it's tough to justify $50 + ship to load an oddball caliber. Sometimes Lee dies are all you can get. Sure wish I had a 7-30 Waters Win '94 to go with my Lee dies. ;)

I can get a set of Lee's carbide dies on the cheap (I'm not talking about the FCD, I'm talking about the standard carbide set).

I've had my .38 standard carbide set for 18 years and they still work great. I also have FCD in .40 and 9mm. No regrets. I use them on a 650 with the Dillon rings.

No need. I have mine mounted the usual way. I only have a couple of threads on one of them, but the lee rings are actually quite smart and hold well in.