Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Really odd question about prosthetic limbs.

Open1215

Hello all. Here is my question. My left hand (weak hand) is 75% dissabled due to a motorcycle accident. As for now I do still have the limb. Bring that it is unsafe for me to shoot weak hand I shoot WHO stages STO. With the advancements being made in cybernetic prosthetic limbs or is a real possibility that within the next 10 or so years this may be a viable option for me. Fixing my disability as well as freeing me from the chronic pain of my hand.

My question is. Would having such a prosthetic be considered an unfair advantage?
These limbs are being made by several companies and can function 100% flawlessly just as a normal limb would. They are being fashioned for people from the military that have lost limbs. I think that we will be seeing them soon if not already to some extent in the sport. I know a lot of vets that enjoy shooting sports so it just seems like at some point it will have to be addressed.

Sorry for the rant and ramble but I saw another video of a new prosthetic and it got me thinking about this sport.

What are your thoughts??

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

From what I've seen of the prosthetics available today I don't see any competitive advantage, if that changes I guess we'll have to cross that bridge then.

I imagine you'd have to be a real piece of work to cry foul if an amputee beats you in a match.

From what I've seen of the prosthetics available today I don't see any competitive advantage, if that changes I guess we'll have to cross that bridge then.

I imagine you'd have to be a real piece of work to cry foul if an amputee beats you in a match.

My thoughts exactly. I just don't see it happening but I guess if they did advance to a point of stronger grip or whatever it may be I still don't see any one forfiting a healthy limb for the "advantage"...

While I can see the grip possibly getting stronger, I can also see that some major advancements would need to be made to where thought alone controls the movement. We subconsciously make micro adjustments to our stance, grip, tension, arm movement as we shoot now. This is far better than ANY prosthetic can do now.

While I can see the grip possibly getting stronger, I can also see that some major advancements would need to be made to where thought alone controls the movement. We subconsciously make micro adjustments to our stance, grip, tension, arm movement as we shoot now. This is far better than ANY prosthetic can do now.

Exactly. Again I'm talking years down the road but no matter how crazy advanced it is I still wouldn't see it as an advantage at all. It would be a step up from what I'm working with now but that's a big difference. I can't see someone bitching about it but it's like the runner w no legs. It was an "unfair advantage" or something crazy.

It would be months of recovery and months of not years of physical therapy just to be able to use it for anything more then a place to rest your strong hand anyway.

I think that if the hand had more strength or faster movement of the fingers then it might confer an advantage for the user. Though no prosthetic that I know have has those advantages now they will in the future, you can count on that. One of my cousins worked on an artificial hand project at Southampton University (UK).

For now, I could not see any unfair advantage being gained from using a prosthetic or other kind of device to aid grip for those that have reduced use of their hand(s).

That's my thoughts. Not to mention if say in 30 years from now they are way advanced I still can't see ANYONE deciding to cut off a perfectly functional limb to " get an edege" on the competition...