Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Tapping

Huey

To call it "shooting," you must hit the target (with your first attempt).

So the goal is: To hit the target.

But to clearly establish the goal, define what you mean by the word target. We could say it is the outer border of the intended area you wish to hit. Think about how this differs with various target sizes at various distances.

Also think about what you "need to see" on each target to KNOW, at the instant the shot fires, that the goal was executed.

The toals and techniques required for the Bullseye shooter to hit a 1 3/4" 10 ring at 25 yds are quite different than for the IPSC shooter to hit a 12" steel plate at 15 yds.

Think about "what you need to see" to KNOW, at the instant the shot fires, that you hit a 18 x 24" steel rectangle at 7 yds, verses KNOWING you hit a 8" plate at 25 yds.

Now the IPSC shooter's goal is not just to hit the target (with the first shot), but to hit it as quickly as possible. (Or think of it as: As quickly as your current "capacity" will allow.) Apply this principle to every shot you fire and you won't become confused.

Never confuse yourself by creating concepts of "pairs" or "doubles." Just shoot each target as quickly as possible. Even if it happens to be the same one twice.

I've been  working on an expanded treatment of this subject... I'll get it up as soon as I get it tuned.

be

I HATE the term "double tap." I wasted my thousands of rounds trying to get fast double taps, I wish people would get rid of the term. I can take two shots faster now and hit both times than I ever did try to "double tap."

That said I found my fastest splits occur when I am watching the sight and my focus is really good, my eyes tell my finger when to pull the trigger and it is pretty fast, and I am getting my hits. If I have been shooting regularly, I see both shots at about .15 - .17 I even get .12-.14 if I am in the zone, seeing both shots with a limited gun.

You have to be looking at something, might as well be your sights, the eyes can cue your finger faster than you can will yourself to pull the trigger again. You just have to learn to see it.

The faster you can see the faster your splits will be if you use your sight to detremine when to break the second shot. You don't have to trust me, just try it.

Something you might want to try. We have a Fri. night shoot just for fun. No classifiers, and just a couple of stages then we go have a beer. But you could do it at a monthly match also on a stage or two.

Everyone here I believe given all the time needed could shoot all A's on pretty much any given stage. (if time were not a factor) Since this match doesn't really count for anything sometimes I'll shoot the stage ensuring I hit all A's. I'm not talking about just concentrating on being more accurate, I mean ensuring all A's. I really have to slow down to do that. So much so that my HF suffers considerably. That's why I don't do it during a monthly match. But being that this game is  "push pull" with reguard to speed and accuracy I think this training technique will help. The theory being that eventully I will speed up and keep the A count.

Make a bet with your shooting buddy on who can have the highest A count on a given stage. It is really tough to make yourself hit all A's (for me anyway) Because when that buzzer goes off it is all I can do to keep my gun from going like a bat out of hell. Sometimes if you have a conversation with your gun before doing this and explain you have a beer, buck, first born or whatever riding on the A count it will slow down for you.

Just something you guys n gals might want to try.

WOW! I thought that I had started on this path to shooting. and find out that I haven't left the blocks!  Thanks for all the info and threads.  Hope this question is not too far off, is what you "need to see" different in practice vs a match, or shooting a 18 x 24 rectangle at 7yds. vs the A zone at 7 yds.?  To shoot the plate, when I see white - the shot breaks,  to shoot the A zone - is there more focus?  When shooting a match it seems now as if I'm just shooting brown for speed vs a particular spot.  

Mark,

I think you answered that question earlier when you said you were losing points.

(We are kinda drifting this thread...how about starting a new one where everybody has a chance to input their thoughts on your particular shooting challenge?)

Mark,

"Hope this question is not too far off, is what you "need to see" different in practice vs a match, or shooting a 18 x 24 rectangle at 7yds. vs the A zone at 7 yds.?"

There's two questions there.

You must train yourself, in practice, so that you KNOW what you need to see to hit any target you can expect to encounter in competition. If you don't do that, you'll always be rolling the dice in a match.

As far as what you need to see on various size targets at various distances, it can be quite different, or very nearly the same.

You have to learn this for yourself.

Set up 3 18 x 24" rectangles at 7 yds, and draw and shoot one hit on each as quickly as possible. Then do the same thing with three 8" plates at 20 yds. Learn by comparing what "you need to see" to hit each target (on the two different setups) as quickly as possible (on the first shot) EVERY time.

be