Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Milling CZ slides

brian45acp

So I have taken to the Red Dot and would love to mill my slide. On my CZ 75 Compact with the rear sight removed I can see a small area of the FPB hole exposed. I called Cajun and they said they see this a lot on CZ. So it seems this isnt a defect but rather just outstanding CZ quality, lol. He did say, Sir its a CZ! which I understand and still love these guns.

So my question is how then would it be possible to mill the slide for a Dot? I am not sure if buying a new upper is a good idea to preserve my matched serial numbers before butchering a slide but I dont even know if anyone sells an upper.

Any ideas?

I figure that but the FPH hole is already exposed a little in my 75 compact. I can see it with rear sight removed in the crease of the dovetail. So more milling at the same depth as the dovetail would certainly expose the hole completely

it has a battery underneath it doesnt it? I figured it would have those posts that stick up like the adapter I got from springer precision. I guess I would need to see the milled surface to understand what it looks like. I will call CZ custom tomorrow.

If you say the exposed FPB hole is fine because its covered by the sight then I trust you know. My Docter sights are on the way from Docter USA and being bullet proofed so I dont have them yet to see them and understand this fully

CZC milled my Shadow. They will only mill down just above the FPB hole, you will be good to go. This is what their multi optic cut looks like. It will let you mount, Cmore STS, Cmore STS 2, Cmore RTS, Leupold Delta Point 1, Burris Fast Fire, Docteur Optic, Vortex Viper and JP Point

http://czcustom.com/products/red-dot-mounting-pistols/multi-optic-sight-cut-cut-only.html

Yes. I actually didn't notice the first time because a thin sliver of metal shaving filled it in. The second time I changed The rear sight that shaving dislogded and its right in the crease of the dovetail where the sharpest edge of the sight base slides into.

Further milling I would imagine completely exposes that hole. I don't think milling forward of it would provoke enough area to mount a dot. The milling would have to extend rear of the dovetail as well

A weld is what I was hoping for. Seems anything is possible then. I would happily pay for a weld and proper milled surface. It seems their multi surface mill is the best idea. If for some reason the specific dot I have coming in fails me I'm not screwed with a slide good for only one dot.

I just don't get how they can tap threads on top of the slide deep enough. The multi cut also looks squared off in front of the dot with some space left in front for different length dots. This would be best since I heard an exact fit can actually cover up the auto dim sensor on the dot.

Stuart:

I will be sending in my slide. I would love to see that picture. If it's suggested to lighten the slide to off set the weight of the dot then I would like to do that also. If I had the picture to print and send along with my slide that would be great or if I referenced you maybe that would work as well.

Please let me know

I had both of my SP-01 Tactical slides milled by cajun gunworks to have a LPA adjustable installed. The firing pin block is exposed and the FPB spring rest directly on the bottom side of the LPA sight. I can even see the spring between the gap in the sight and the slide. I have over 10k rounds each with this setup and they work flawlessly. The only limitation to how deep you can mill a FPB slide is the firing pin retaining pin channel. Based on eyeballing the milled Accu-Shadow above above my SP-01 is milled to about the same depth +/-.002.

What could be a problem is the FPB spring creating a short by touching the electronics on the bottom of the red dot. I have never owned one so If don't know if the electronics are exposed on the bottom of the red dot.

I called but was just told by CZ custom that they let the machine shop figure this out, lol. He said we make it work that's what we do. Fair enough I suppose.

He did say possibly they would just shorten the fpb itself if necessary. I would rather that hole be covered though.

post-627-0-95079900-1463439474_thumb.jpg

This cut shows how the cut goes into the firing pin block. the block hole is not shortened and functions normally.

The cut into the firing pin channel was to see how far it could be cut as a way to lighten the slide ( when the weight limit was 35 ounces)

*THIS IS NOT DONE ON any of the optic cuts.

Edited by eerw

That looks scary but I guess it's proven, lol. Doesn't look like a multi optic cut is possible. I really only want it for the Docter sight any how. With the exposed FP channel and all all those multi cuts I don't see fitting that.

Is the extra lightening suggested to off set the weight added by the dot?

I would love to see a top plate over that. The battery and all is underneath and needs to press on something. I guess since this is new to me it's hard to vision how this all goes together.

Does the slide get refinished after this? I suppose I can just copy this pic and send along with my slides for it to come out the same

Edited by brian45acp

That looks scary but I guess it's proven, lol. Doesn't look like a multi optic cut is possible. I really only want it for the Docter sight any how. With the exposed FP channel and all all those multi cuts I don't see fitting that.

Is the extra lightening suggested to off set the weight added by the dot?

I would love to see a top plate over that. The battery and all is underneath and needs to press on something. I guess since this is new to me it's hard to vision how this all goes together.

Does the slide get refinished after this? I suppose I can just copy this pic and send along with my slides for it to come out the same

the multioptic cut you would not see the firing pin area. that would be still metal. that area was cut away when the weight limit was 35 ounces. so no need to lighten slide.

so the battery would have good contact on top of the slide.

the slide is refinished.

Edited by eerw