Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-More Mounts for Gold Team - Advantages ....Disadvantages

(I am posting this here instead of in the Open forum because this is specific to the GT)

I am trying several mounts on my Gold Teams, I would like to get some feedback from the group on what has worked and NOT worked.
On my GT .40 I have a C-More Serendipity. Bought it used from another GT owner, since I am only able to use 2 screw holes on each side, I am going to assume that it was not originally a Tanfoglio

mount. So it is mounted one hole further back.
So far it has worked well, the sandblasting of the C-More lense has been minimal but it is there.

I bought 2 different mounts for my GT 38 Super:

- Double-Alpha C-more mount

- Quinn III mount

I first mounted the Quinn.... I like the dot being nice and low and minimizing paralax, but I did not like how close it is to the popple holes, so I removed it for now and installed the Double-Alpha C-more mount.
As I mentioned in a previous post, I had problems with the screws backing out. Under group advise, I have replaced the Stainless Screws with powder coated mild steel screws which I used locktite and torqued them to 30 inch lbs. So hopefully that problem has been solved.

After 400 rounds I notice the blast shield is not only colored, it is scored.

So I would love to try the Quinn mount, but based on what I have seen on the blast shield, I am very concerned about destroying my new C-More sight.

BTW: I am also shocked at the overall weight of the gun with these mounts using the aluminum cased C-More....MUCH heavier than then Serendipity (of course it is lighter)

What can the group tell me about their experience.....the Quinn.....different mount? If you could design a mount what would it be?

Thanks!

Edited by DenverDave

I think the Quinn mount puts the sight too far forward for use with the V12 Gold Teams:

IMG_20140117_215044_352-1_zpskmor3bj2.jp

The Cheely mount is the only viable option for a horizontal Cmore:

_20151106_053023_zpsujrpmd5n.jpg

Unfortunately Matt doesn't stock them anymore, but I've backordered four with him, so if anyone wants one please email him and encourage him to run a batch.

Yep. Cheely setback is the go. The other option is move the Quinn mount back one screw hole. It means you only have 3 screws instead of 4 but mine worked fine that way for a long time and the lense no longer gets hammered.

Here is another question:

I have been running the Double-Alpha C-more mount, first time out I had the problems with the screws backing out (that was brought up in an earlier post), before the screws backed out, it was shooting 4" high at 21 feet.
So when I reinstalled it, I shimmed the back of the mount with two layers of electrical tape (yea...I know ...not the best choice of material but just trying to figure out where I am at with it), still hitting 2" high.

And yes, the C-More sight is at it's max on adjustment range. (There is not much play where the mount meets the frame....so no help there)
So I have concluded that I need to shim the back with a piece of aluminum or hard plastic of about 2mm thick, then I will have some adjustment range to work with C-More.

I am curious if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a better fix?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my setup (38 Super platform) using Eric's C-More Upright mount. It looks like EAA sells the same mount now. I'm zero'd at 18 yrds (C-More is 6MOA). Elevation and Windage have sufficient adjustment room and "the mount" sits low. The upright C-More adds all the height. Sitting at 1.993 inch (center of lens to center of barrel). The C-More is placed on two vertical posts integrated on the mount which adds stability and alignment (see below for an issue). It's a one sided mount, which I prefer so the slide racker stays on while the slide is removed. I also installed a DAA thumb rest in frame holes 2 & 4 (with longer screws).

Even though the mount kisses the ejection port, I have had no problems with ejection using 38 Super or 38 Super Comp (Atlanta Arms (JHP Major), ArmsCor, GECO, (new and reloads of each) as well as hand loaded brass from Starline 38 Super+ (new and reloaded) 175k PF chron'd at muzzle +7 feet). It does travel quite a distance when ejected.

Overall, even with it's higher profile it provides a dependable POA/POI in USPSA, 3Gun and Steel Knockdown.

That was the good news.... to get to this stage was a challenge:

1) no screws were supplied initially from Eric (he quickly remedied that, sent 6: 2 for mounting C-More to mount, 4 to mount to frame)

2) the mounting posts on the mount have a larger diameter than the C-More, so I had to ream the plastic C-More holes a bit. I checked with C-More first and if I reamed too much, they would rebuild a new Optic out of my parts for around $60. Never needed this service, but nice to know.

3) ALL SCREWS backing out.....My fault. I discovered that all surfaces need to be prepped with 100% acetone. So a trip to Walmart and $0.99, I aceton'd the screws, the mount threads, let it evaporate and applied blue loctitie to the screw threads, threaded once to get the loctite in the mount threads, applied additional blue loctite and re-threaded. That was 4,000 rounds ago and I'm still zeroed at 20 yards.

Is Matt's horizontal a better solution? probably can shave 0,67 inches off the height.....but he wasn't making them at the time.

post-59089-0-01423800-1464689938_thumb.j

Edited by Austin111