Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag scoop or magazine release?

Aiden

Hi all!

So I'm a relatively new owner to an STI Edge and just getting started in Limited. I just recently did a grip reduction and stipple along with a double undercut.

I still can't exactly hit the magazine release without flipping the gun/shifting my grip. Close but no cigar.

I have a Dawson lopro magazine release currently installed. I like that I don't accidentally hit the mag release with my weak hand.

Should I be looking for another magazine release? Or should I try and add a mag release "scoop" on the side of the grip?

Thanks!

This just my experience and others may be able to offer better advice.

I have been down this road myself. After trying various magazine releases, I settled on picking one that I like best and learned to alter (shift the gun in my hand) my grip in order to facilitate a magazine change.

Good luck to you. Btw, I settled on the same Dawson's Lopro.

People put waaaaay too much emphasis on being able to reach the magazine release without shifting their grip. Having a release that is comfortable that you can reach/press consistently is more important. The extra tenth of a second that you spend reaching for the mag button is the same tenth of a second that you are reaching for a fresh magazine on your belt.

It doesn't matter. If you can reach the mag release without shifting your grip then that is awesome, but if you can't then I wouldn't probably sweat it too much. I shift my grip and can hit 0.8 reloads, probably anyone can if you want to put in the dry fire and learn it.

I see it more as potentially removing a variable from the reloading equation. When I shot my Glock I didn't need to flip, so wondering the best way to replicate that with the 2011.

I'm not yet shooting at a level where I'm counting the fraction of a second flipping takes (which as Gooldylocks said, isn't really affecting overall speed), but I definitely could use all the help I can get in establishing consistency.

Would a thumb relief in the grip to access the button easier weaken the grip too much?

I see it more as potentially removing a variable from the reloading equation. When I shot my Glock I didn't need to flip, so wondering the best way to replicate that with the 2011.

I'm not yet shooting at a level where I'm counting the fraction of a second flipping takes (which as Gooldylocks said, isn't really affecting overall speed), but I definitely could use all the help I can get in establishing consistency.

Would a thumb relief in the grip to access the button easier weaken the grip too much?

I see, you are already used to not having to do it from your other gun. Makes more sense. If you can avoid retraining yourself then you probably should.

I don't know how thick the plastic is right there on a grip, but I would hesitate to cut a scoop. Right at the mag release is probably the most common place that the plastic grips crack. I think it seems safer to add an extended button, STI makes one that extends rearward quite a bit. Just be sure to thoroughly test it to make sure you are dropping magazines all over the place with your regular grip on the gun.

Just be careful, to much mag release can result in premature mag release. I have a paddle. I had it clocked at about 2 o'clock. Last match we were shooting can you count (I think that is the name 5R5, break 5R5). I had four reloads instead of the required two. I got excited I think and squeezed extra hard. I reclocked to the position that I can just barely hit it without repositioning, 1230ish.