Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I simply wnat to do SC with my 1911. But I am caught with a chain of c

frgood

I have a GI 1911. After installing an Ambi Safety, I see that the (1) Grip Safety need to be replaced. Why? Because by resting my left hand thumb on the safety does not pressure the grip safety enough to release the trigger.

(2) So, I picked up a Grip Safety with a rise on the end hoping it will be enough to force engagement. This is a fitting job so I was considering sending it out to have done.
(3) But, Fitting the Grip Safety impacts the GI style hammer as the hammer spur no longer fits.
(4) So I might as well take a look at competition hammers which is an entire process in itself.
(5) If a new hammer is to had than the sear engagement will have to be fitted and possibly replaced.

My question is that this seem like a lot of changes to get the safety grip to work. While I may want to learn to fit this stuff later, It seems a lot to do first time out the gate. I simply want to use the gun. Is there a definitive NO to disabling the grip Safety by taken metal off the engagement tip of the safety? Or, is pining the best solution and can it be done simply on a drill press?

What are your thoughts on this never ending change chain?

Replace the grip safety, you will want the beavertail. Bob the spur on the GI hammer. Then you are done. Also if you prefer the original safety just pin it as Grumpy suggested.