Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sideline Coaching

ZackJones

Slight thread drift but if you don't paint between shooters .... A LOT of shooters at my match don't start with freshly painted stage and for them there is NO discussion allowed. The RO's call is final and that's that. My shooters brief always gives a reminder that while it's not required to paint between shooters it is a shooters right to have targets painted AND if you elect to not paint then there is to be NO discussion of hits/misses ....

Edited by Nimitz

For a local match with nothing on the line except bragging rights, I see nothing wrong with it...especially if you are running a new shooter, and/or new to steel shooting.

I'd offer that, competition is competition. Should it matter if there is a prize table or just a smiley face?

If somebody gains an advantage by a buddy/coach calling out...then that impacts the competition. Can that really be fair?

If you need hits called and wait before reengaging, then you most likely are not up in the competitive rankings....wouldn't ya think?

Slight thread drift but if you don't paint between shooters .... A LOT of shooters at my match don't start with freshly painted stage and for them there is NO discussion allowed. The RO's call is final and that's that. My shooters brief always gives a reminder that while it's not required to paint between shooters it is a shooters right to have targets painted AND if you elect to not paint then there is to be NO discussion of hits/misses ....

Painting between courses of fire is in the rules. It's not optional. I know clubs don't always paint but they are supposed to.

My opinion is that at local matches if I am shooting 2 guns, either one rimfire and one centerfire or 2 rimfires I generally don't ask to paint between guns to save time. Heck some don't even want paint before their only gun. And on that note I realize if the RO calls a miss I have to eat it. Had that happen this last weekend, in the midst of my best full 8 stages ever. I would have been in the 80's if not for the miss. Still beat my best time by a couple of seconds. In a tier 2/3 match that's different but I tend to shoot my best scores in bigger matches.

Painting between courses of fire is in the rules. It's not optional. I know clubs don't always paint but they are supposed to.

Zack: can you point me to that rule? Couldn't find it in my quick review of the rulebook ...

Edited by Nimitz

Zack: can you point me to that rule? Couldn't find it in my quick review of the rulebook ...

Section 5, paragraph 5 - Target Painting: All targets are to be painted white and will be repainted prior to each contestant’s first run on each course of fire.

I do it for new shooters, junior's and older fellows at their request.

For me two things; A: I do NOT want to know my time on each string until I am done. B: Don't yell hit or miss. If I miss, I miss, I'll get over it but if my concentration gets broken I'm done.

How do you guys feel about an RO telling you your time between strings? It gives me a brain bomb...

Edited by wyliearms

How do you guys feel about an RO telling you your time between strings? It gives me a brain bomb...

I would prefer not to hear my times because invariably I will hear it and then push myself to go even faster and I usually screw up royally when that happens. When I'm running shooters I usually don't announce times unless they ask. Once they ask I'll do it from that point forward.

For a local match with nothing on the line except bragging rights, I see nothing wrong with it...especially if you are running a new shooter, and/or new to steel shooting.

I'd offer that, competition is competition. Should it matter if there is a prize table or just a smiley face?

If somebody gains an advantage by a buddy/coach calling out...then that impacts the competition. Can that really be fair?

If you need hits called and wait before reengaging, then you most likely are not up in the competitive rankings....wouldn't ya think?

I'm not sure what the competitive ranks are? When I started, I was trying to pick out people that were just above me on the final overalls. Some folks are competing with a goal not to be last.

I would prefer not to hear my times because invariably I will hear it and then push myself to go even faster and I usually screw up royally when that happens. When I'm running shooters I usually don't announce times unless they ask. Once they ask I'll do it from that point forward.

Yep, yep, and yep.

Hearing the scores does not bother me at all, in fact it usually spurs me on. If the first run is clean and fast for me I usually try to duplicate it and maybe do a quicker transition to the stop plate to gain a few tenths. If I do the first 4 within a tenth or two I will try to burn a last run. Happened like that at the last PNTC match. My main opponent shot a 1.99 on his 3rd run in Roundabout so on my 5th run I shot a 1.95 backed up by 3 runs in the 2.1-2.20 to win that stage 8.44 to 8.87 (RFRO).

Edited by photoracer

Hearing the scores does not bother me at all, in fact it usually spurs me on. If the first run is clean and fast for me I usually try to duplicate it and maybe do a quicker transition to the stop plate to gain a few tenths. If I do the first 4 within a tenth or two I will try to burn a last run. Happened like that at the last PNTC match. My main opponent shot a 1.99 on his 3rd run in Roundabout so on my 5th run I shot a 1.95 backed up by 3 runs in the 2.1-2.20 to win that stage 8.44 to 8.87 (RFRO).

Nice! I can say that since my last match had me at 8.83. You would have had me, but at least I'd have beat the other guy, LOL!

More to the discussion, for me I don't want to hear the times because if I consciously try to go faster, I always go slower, even if it feels faster. I'm not a nazi about controlling the RO or audience, but I don't want anything to break my focus from the execution of my run.

On the other hand... I do love it when the audience is BSing loudly and then goes to pure silence when they see me shoot my first string, or sometimes cheer. That happened a couple times this weekend. I had somebody film my first run of the day (on Roundabout) and I swear right before it cuts out I can hear somebody yell "Jesus!" which just makes me laugh. It's cool when I Iknow that I've grabbed their attention.

I prefer to shoot with people better than I am (like my team mate Mike S) but in rimfire at PNTC that is not happening. Mike's job doesn't allow him to shoot those matches, but even with little or no practice he usually shoots both rimfire open division S&H stages in the mid to upper 7s with a one time high 6 at one event. Nice to be healthy and 25 years younger than I am. We both shoot centerfire also but prefer shooting rimfire (and its cheaper). I have been neglecting my RFPO gun in order to shoot more CFO in prep for Max Michel's class this last weekend. I can truly say that I learned more about shooting fast with accuracy in 3 days than I have learned up to this point.