Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 "minor" for Production?

mreed911

I went down this path with a G20...

125pf wouldn't reliably run the gun even with a 10# RSA...

The lightest spring combination that just barely passes the 'vertical test' was a 13# RSA paired with a 4# striker...

~150pf was about the lightest load that would reliably run the gun with a 13# RSA...

~150pf didn't produce sufficient pressure to seal the chamber, which gave me a wider velocity spread than I'd like...

Lack of chamber seal didn't help with accuracy...

Had to file the front sight to get it anywhere near POA/POI, though the 7.3mm rear sight might do the trick...

Even at ~150pf the recoil was laughable...

HTH,

Dave

• 7 years later...

I have plenty of .45 bullets, brass, and a toolhead set up for a nice minor load.  The 1911s chambered in .45 are also among my favorite to shoot.  All paid for years ago so cost isn’t an issue preventing me from putting this hardware to use in competition.

Why can’t I shoot Single Stack minor with .45?  The 10-round mags don’t let the gun with mag fit in the box.  This would force me into Limited 10 minor.

One obvious choice is to shoot SS major with 8 round mags.  I find the 8-round limitation to be a bummer.  So I shoot SS minor with 9mm.  However at some point I might show up at an all-classifier with .45 major.  I would probably stick with that until I ran out of large pistol primers.  Or, I’ll use up those components shooting for training and enjoyment.