Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC C-More Mount Screw Removal

gerritm

Got a new DVC and want to add a thumb rest. Screws are very tight and don't want to strip the allen heads. I am guessing loc tite, but not sure what type, red, green, blue? What is the best way to break them loose? Heat or impact?

gerritm

It looked like they used purple loctite - less holding power than blue. Heat won't hurt. The best insurance against stripping is using a quality hex bit instead of an Allen wrench. I used my Wiha set and didn't strip a one. However, I did need to buy longer ones than what the thumb rest came with - shooters connection carries them if you need.

457980bdef2192227b515da0c2816e6e.jpg

I replaced the mount on my dvc open to a sideways and had to use a butane torch on the inside of the frame to loosen the factory screws. I think two loosened with just a lighter but the rest needed serious heat.

I have both soldering irons and small butane torch with a good set of Snap On allen wrenches. I like the soldering iron idea.

gerritm

Ended up using a butane torch inside the frame. Not sure what Loc Tite they used, but it was very hard to get to break free. Took a lot of heat. My son is a HD mechanic and had some short end Snap On allen wrenches the worked well. Thanks for the help.

gerritm

Pretty sure a heat gun would not have been hot enough. It took a lot of concentrated heat from the torch and steady pressure to finally break them loose. Wondering if shock instead of heat would have worked better. Strange Loc Tite. My son is really used to standard red & blue as they use it all the time. This was different.

gerritm

I don't think smacking will jar it loose,unless a person can find a type of Universal Impact Driver Tool with small hex bits,still heat it up first,trying to take a picatinney rail of my rifle,stripped two,have better torch now,tho I'm going to have to drill 2 out, lucky I have a big stand alone drill press,cross my fingers

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk