Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guide Rod Jumping the Notch

Lastcat

2sb7ix3.jpg

Guide Rod keeps jumping out of the notch cut into the barrel. :blink:

Glock 31 KKM Barrel, Wolff Uncaptured Guide Rod (.270 dia), Carver Gen3 to Gen4 .278 Adapter, Wolff Round Wound Springs. So every once in a while the rod will slip out of the machined notch, that the end sits into. Sometimes I have to slap the end of the slide to get the guide rod to seat again, in order for me to remove the slide, frustrating.

I am shooting 124gr with a 172 pf, 357 Sig. Gun cycles fine and shoots great, always feeds and ejects. I have used 11# - 14# springs and the guide rod does the same darn thing, as in the picture above. What the ???

Wolff Guide Rod poor machining? Rod defective? KKM Barrel problem?

So when this happened the first time, it was at practice, I was lost. Thought for sure something broke. But the guide rod was so low, it was hitting the Locking Block and keeping the slide from being removed. I finally struggled and got the slide to come off, but dang :blink: .

Any ideas? Get a new rod?

My glock rides up like that too but has never kept me from removing the slide.

Think I figured it out.

The stock rod end is larger than the Wolff rod end, by .085". Enough that the rod end at the barrel notch, drops. It's a Gen3 rsa for a Gen4. But that is one of the reasons the Gen4's have the larger spring. Which why Gen3 slides will be a problem on a Gen4 frame. The Gen4 RSA center line is farther from the bore axis than the Gen3. Thus causing the rod end to be lower in the notch at the barrel.

I think the action of the slide and the offset of the guide rod, plus the smaller end, causes the rod to jump out of the notch in the barrel. While this is assembled I noticed too that the spring is sitting on the barrel. Needs a larger end.

I have looked into a few other Guide Rods, Zev, Jager, etc.. Will call and find out if there are any Guide Rods that are .270 rod dia and .500 rod end diam.

Edited by Lastcat

I can measure mine later but I use a zev Gen 3 rod in a Gen 4 slide with the zev adapter.

Thanks darkvibe, that would be great.

I just heard back from Chris at CPWSA and he measured the Jager rod end at .4975.

As far as I know, only the jager rod fits the Gen 4. I was running a zev with adapter and had constant problems. The jager captured gen4 rod helped a ton.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Do you use the Wolff Round Wound or ISMI Spring?

Wolff. I'm pretty sure you have to use wolff. Which is fine, they work and they come in every weight you could want.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yep, that sounds right. The ISMI springs works with the .234 dia rods, but not the larger rods at .270 (Wolff, Jager, etc..). Thanks for the help obsessive, will check into that Monday.

Didn't have my calipers handy but here is the end of the Zev rod i have. Looks like about 13/32 or .406". I didn't measure the shaft but I use ISMI flat wire springs so it must be around that .234" size.

xOVa6od.jpg

Didn't have my calipers handy but here is the end of the Zev rod i have. Looks like about 13/32 or .406". I didn't measure the shaft but I use ISMI flat wire springs so it must be around that .234" size.

xOVa6od.jpg

darkvibe, have you ever had the ZEV rod move off that barrel notch? Mine is the wolff .415 large end and .270 rod dia. I use the wolff round wound springs and the rod jumps off the notch. It works, but it can make it a bear to remove slide. I ordered a Jager rod, should be in this weekend. Will give a review soon.

Well got this guide rod sorted out. I was using the Wolff guide rod. .270 rod diam and .415 large end diam. It is used for my Glock 31 Gen4. But, it would jump out of the notch that sits in the barrel. Gun fired and worked fine, just annoying trying to get the slide removed.

Bought a Jager Heavey Guide Rod. .500 large end and .270 rod dia.

Works great. I am using the Wolff Round Wound Springs, which works for the .270 dia. rod. I notice it cycled better and no more of the guide spring and barrel colliding. I guess if you have a Gen4 then avoid the Gen3 guide rods. Even though some have no problems, I decided to get the correct rod.