Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA outer belt for IDPA?

ncrivello

I have a DAA inner/outer belt setup.

The IDPA rule book has three requirements for belts:

1.) Must be <1.75" wide

2.) No thicker than 7.9mm (5/16")

3.) Must pass through all but two belt loops.

From reading through various thread on belts and the few matches I've attended (I'm a new shooter); the general consensus is people are using the inner belts or dedicated/thinner belt for IDPA.

I measured the DAA outer belt; my digital calipers indicate that it is 1.53" wide and exactly 7.9mm thick. It also passes through all but one of my belt loops. Both my holster and mag pouch use tek-lock, so I can just clip them on after passing the belt through the loops.

Seems to meet the rule set; any reason why I can't use it?

Sounds ok so far.

The next thing to check is whether that maximum thickness belt and the tek lock holster attachment keeps the gun within 3/4" of your body, the dowel test. Many of the tek lock holsters I have seen were marginal to failing.

I hadn't thought of that, I will have to double check to see if it meets the standard.. I have a stingray/asr attachment that I could use, might be more challenging to get on though. :)

On edit: That dowel test seems to favor more 'portly' shooters....

Edited by ncrivello

I use the DAA outer belt. The inner belt is not thick enough to use with TekLok. Holster will slide around on the belt. I have no love handles and still easily pass the dowel test

This is good to know. That Teklock/inner belt compatibility issue is what's pushing me to the outer belt; the fact that it's 10x stiffer doesn't hurt either..