Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why the "pimple on my Bullets"?

I had this exact same issue with Xtreme bullets, but found a complete cure.

1. Use Xtreme HP (my preference anyway)

2. Use Flat Nose (FN) (experimenting with them now)

Keeps your nipple's where they belong. :huh:

Thx! I don't see a HPFN in 147 gr? What grain are you referring to?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx! I don't see a HPFN in 147 gr? What grain are you referring to?

I am currently shooting 124 gr. But I do prefer the Hollow point.

I was looking at Xtreme web site an dthey have 2 different 147gr RN and a 147 GR RN HPCB or heavy plate concave base. The HPCB should be less likely to leave a pimple when seating bullet.

I also switched to an MBF powder drop. It creates a step in the case to accept a bullet before seating. This also removed the dimpling on the standard plating.

MBF powder drop http://www.mrbulletfeeder.biz/

Scroll down to powder drop.

Are you using the FN or RN end of the seating plug?

I had the exact same problem with Xtreme .45 ACP 230 RN on my Dillon 550B. Tried both ends of the seating stem and left a ring around the bullets. It didn't have any effect on accuracy that I can tell but sure drives me crazy so I will probably the super glue trick or my Lee seating die as it doesn't do it.

I did contact Dillon about custom seating stems and they don't offer that but said if enough people ask they my offer some additional shapes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had the exact same problem with Xtreme .45 ACP 230 RN on my Dillon 550B. Tried both ends of the seating stem and left a ring around the bullets. It didn't have any effect on accuracy that I can tell but sure drives me crazy so I will probably the super glue trick or my Lee seating die as it doesn't do it.

I did contact Dillon about custom seating stems and they don't offer that but said if enough people ask they my offer some additional shapes.

Another good thing about LEE. You can send them bullets and for a modest fee make inserts for all of them

Round nore end, works great with HP and FN.

BTW, I also had a problem with the 124 gr Xtreme RN seating slightly crooked, giving me an off center dimple.

Another reason I went to HP and MBF powder drops.

If I have to use the HP I might as well go back to the Rainiers. I had no issues with them, was just looking for a more economical projectile to shoot...

I am really quite disappointed in my 650 doing this and Dillon's response pretty much being just live with it... If that seating plug is designed for lubed lead bullets then they need to make one for plated/jacketed too...

Please understand I have no issues with nipples, just don't want them on my bullets...

Round nore end, works great with HP and FN.

BTW, I also had a problem with the 124 gr Xtreme RN seating slightly crooked, giving me an off center dimple.

Another reason I went to HP and MBF powder drops.

Hmmm...

Another good thing about LEE. You can send them bullets and for a modest fee make inserts for all of them

Yeah, so Lee does, why won't Dillon? I hope they read this forum!

You can buy a whole 3 die lee set for $30 or 4 die for less than $40. You get the excellent size/decap die, easy adjustabls seat die and the fcd crimp die if you buy the 4 die set. You also get the powder die and ptx funnel but it's of no use unless you switch to a lee powder measure.

Their seat die is really good. I've never had their insert mark a bullet including spear points. As mentioned send lee a bullet and $6 (I think it was $6) and they'll make a custom stem for that bullet to seat it by the ogive not the tip.

Yeah, so Lee does, why won't Dillon? I hope they read this forum!
They read it all the time but I doubt they will change anything just because you don't like absolutely meaningless marks on your bullets.

In all honesty Dillon makes some great stuff but they also have some items that miss the mark. That's why there are so many Dillon presses out there with other brands of dies in them, etc.

Since you are so obsessed with minor irregularities i'm astonished you don't just load Jacketed bullets in new Starline brass.

Ok, I spoke with Dillon and they are sending me another seating stem to modify as an experiment. They are recommending I fill it with JB Weld. I did however just have a thought - what about filling it with solder..?

Ok, I spoke with Dillon and they are sending me another seating stem to modify as an experiment. They are recommending I fill it with JB Weld. I did however just have a thought - what about filling it with solder..?

Probably work too. Some use hot glue gun

Probably work too. Some use hot glue gun

That's interesting... Has the hot glue held up well?

Other than cosmetics is there any reason this should be a problem? I can't imagine it would have an effect on accuracy. If using coated or plated bullets I guess it could damage the coating/plating but I wouldn't think so.

Ok guys, the results are in!

It was recommended I try folding a piece of tin foil and put it in the seating stem. It wouldn't stay in the stem so I super glued it in. It did work for a handful of rounds then it succumbed to the pressure. I cleaned it all out and then tried another recommendation I received plugging the stem with a glue stick from a heated glue gun. I did however go one step further as the glue remains somewhat flexible even when set so I found a very small brad with a flat head. I trimmed the stem off the brad leaving just enough to keep in the center of the drain hole of the seating stem and hot glued it into place. I then took a greased bullet pressed in into the hot wax and left it to cure while having supper. Went beck to my bench about an hour later and ran about 500 rounds successfully!

Achieving this I now am wanting an even more permanent solution. Knowing this worked I will now take this one step further and clean all the hot glue out and go with another suggestion of using JB Weld. This as well could become a great way of building custom seating stems for each bullet whomever chooses to load...

Cheers!

As a result of your recommendation I spoke with X-treme regarding this and they are sending some heavy plated for me to try!