Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why the "pimple on my Bullets"?

I am loading 9mm on my two month old Dillon 650. Mixed casings, just received a few 147 RN .356 X-treme RN standard copper plating. I have not loaded X-treme prior to now. I ran a box tonight to go shoot tomorrow for lunch and there is a "pimple" on top of the projectile! What the heck!? What do I do to correct the situation?

Cheers & many thanks in advance from IGG!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

flip over the seating stem in your (presumably) dillon seating die. the dillon RN seating stem seems to do this to RN bullets that have an ogive shape that doesn't meat the shape of the insert. so instead of seating them by the shoulder it pushes them by the nose and gives you a little ring and nipple on the top.

pull the clip to remove the insert. flip it over the flat one and try that.

it also reveals 2 things. 1, xtreams are fairly soft bullets. 2. you have decent neck tension. :)

It will probably still do it (depends on the bullet profile). Pull the seater plug out. Fill it with super glue and press a bullet into it. When it hardens remove the bullet and clean it up a bit. You now have a custom seater plug (and you can remove the super glue later if you want to). This fixed my problem loading 170gn coated RN's and 147gn plated RN's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Matt1

flip over the seating stem in your (presumably) dillon seating die. the dillon RN seating stem seems to do this to RN bullets that have an ogive shape that doesn't meat the shape of the insert. so instead of seating them by the shoulder it pushes them by the nose and gives you a little ring and nipple on the top.

it also reveals 2 things. 1, xtreams are fairly soft bullets. 2. you have decent neck tension. :)

Thx BB! I have not tried it but when I took it out (yes Dillon) and turned it over the tip of the bullet is totally in contact (more han then the RN side) with the seating insert which appeared that would even be worse..?

It will probably still do it (depends on the bullet profile). Pull the seater plug out. Fill it with super glue and press a bullet into it. When it hardens remove the bullet and clean it up a bit. You now have a custom seater plug (and you can remove the super glue later if you want to). This fixed my problem loading 170gn coated RN's and 147gn plated RN's.

Thx Matt, interesting! How do you keep the super glue from leaking through the lube escape hole and form itself?

From memory I put the cross pin back in and pulled it to the far side. You might have to tap it out once it sets but it wasn't a problem. You beauty of using glue is its less permanent than using JB Weld or something like that.

From memory I put the cross pin back in and pulled it to the far side. You might have to tap it out once it sets but it wasn't a problem. You beauty of using glue is its less permanent than using JB Weld or something like that.

Thanks again Matt, I'll check it out tonight!

Thx BB! I have not tried it but when I took it out (yes Dillon) and turned it over the tip of the bullet is totally in contact (more han then the RN side) with the seating insert which appeared that would even be worse..?

I know it looks counter intuitive but the one time I had this issue with my dillon seating die on rn bullets switching the the flat stem made it go away. Try a few and see how it goes.

Of course you could just shoot them as they are. The dimple is harmless

Thanks Sarge, how would one establish what the real OAL is though?
Geez, how big is this pimple?!? Usually just a ring around the end with slight deformation if any. Just factor it into whatever oal fits the mags and gun Edited by Sarge

I know it looks counter intuitive but the one time I had this issue with my dillon seating die on rn bullets switching the the flat stem made it go away. Try a few and see how it goes.

I will give it a go tonight, thx!

Of course you could just shoot them as they are. The dimple is harmless

Thanks Sarge, how would one establish what the real OAL is though?
Geez, how big is this pimple?!? Usually just a ring around the end with slight deformation if any. Just factor it into whatever oal fits the mags and gun

Noticeable, don't know how to measure it. I don't think I can get calipers on it but will try tonight. Thx!

I prefer a good nipple on my round noses personally...

I'm not sure if implying someting else or serious. If serious what are the positive effects of having a pimple on them.
Waiting for this one! :)

I'm not sure if implying someting else or serious. If serious what are the positive effects of having a pimple on them.

I don't want an answer in writing I want a picture...

Sorry guys, I was in the middle of posting a pic when my wife walked in. Now she's threatening to cut me off from the round noses and the primer pocket for a week, possibly no loading of any form!

Sorry guys, I was in the middle of posting a pic when my wife walked in. Now she's threatening to cut me off from the round noses and the primer pocket for a week, possibly no loading of any form!

Well that's a bummer

Well that's a bummer

Call Dillon and see if they will send a replacement!

I had this exact same issue with Xtreme bullets, but found a complete cure.

1. Use Xtreme HP (my preference anyway)

2. Use Flat Nose (FN) (experimenting with them now)

Keeps your nipple's where they belong. :huh: