Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking for heavy metal pistol ammo

• 2 weeks later...

One small bit of caution, I have noticed that the small primer .45 shoots significantly different than the same brand large primer. I have noticed 2 things, first I get a fairly repeatable last round FTF nose up into the hood if the second to last round is small primer. Second, I have noticed that at 15 yards, my hold on 5x5 plates is completely different. With WWB, I hold 6-O'clock on 5x5's and get close to center hits. With Federal SP, I have to hold top third to get the same hit.

I have burned about 350 rounds testing these issues, in 3 different guns (Para-ord 7-45, Springfield TRP and a hi-standard 1911). All magazines are the same (mccormick shooting star welded baseplate) with new-ish wolff mag springs. I was having random seeming problems that I set about to tracking down. My actual problem was that I was shooting up some panic-ammo, and had mixed Small and Large primer .45 in the same container believing it all to be the same. When I finished that container, the next batch was all small, and my issues became consistent through all 3 guns, and 2 dozen numbered mags. Now the small primer stuff gets set aside for PCC duty (my carbine loves it).