Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trubor.....9mm or 38 Super ?

DenverDave

If you look at the numbers a lot of people are switching now to 9 major, and as was stated on page one of this thread it's not because it's better, it's mainly costs. If you can load the same brass for 9major and minor (which I do) why not do it, so why not have a gun that can shoot 9mm (no new cost). 38 Super(comp) makes more gas and gives you more options on comp design, powder choices, etc. that being said, you will be scrounging for your brass or marking it so everyone knows it's yours. I personally didn't want to have to get into loading another caliber, so I went 9 major. I've played with powders and modified my comp, but I think I made the right choice especially "just getting into open". The one thing that hasn't been mentioned it shooting 9-minor out of your open gun to run steel/3-gun/wife(girlfriend)-gun/whatever, that is a lot easier switch with a 9mm gun.

The other part of the equation is that there are a few more powders that are really good for 9-major now than what there used to be.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought 5K 9mm cases at 2 cents per case. I switched from 38 super to 9mm Major because I am tired of having to look for my brass. You never pick up 100% of what you shoot so you are losing brass every stage and taking valuable time picking up brass when you should be checking the next stage. Its nice to say "pick up the brass at the end of the match" but I want to check scores and talk to people, not brass every stage. Yes, sometimes you get lucky and get a ton of brass at a match. I do not think about brass anymore, its not an issue and maybe since I am shooting a race gun I should be able to afford to lose that brass, but a good shooter is concerned about not wasting money. Put that money towards the next gun.

I am glad I switched and I am not looking back!