Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mini-14 For Uspsa/ipsc 3 Gun?

GlockSpeed31

Does anyone use a Mini-14 for 3gun? I know the AR platform is preferred, but, has anyone used a Mini competitively? If so, any modifications done to it? Does anyone make a different style stock for a Mini? Anything like a M4 style stock w/ a front vertical grip?

Thanks,

GlockSpeed31

Does anyone use a Mini-14 for 3gun? I know the AR platform is preferred, but, has anyone used a Mini competitively? If so, any modifications done to it? Does anyone make a different style stock for a Mini? Anything like a M4 style stock w/ a front vertical grip?

Thanks,

GlockSpeed31

It's fairly common here (California), since you can't buy new ARs.

I'd guess factory stock is the most common, most (probably all) need to be sent out to get them accurate enough to shoot at 300+ yards.

Accuracy Systems does very good work, but there's others out there.

If you shoot Tactical (1 Optic) and you have a standard barrel, you can add a rail, and a JP side sight to it. They won't fit the bull barrels, and unfortunately, all the accurized versions of the Mini I've seen have bull barrels .750 - 1.00"

Things to think about:

You'll never find as good a magazine supply, and the mini will never reload as fast as an AR.

For the amount it costs to make one accurate + the rifle cost itself, the AR is a much better value.

If I could, I'd get an AR in a heartbeat.

I think I would have moved if I didn't have them already, because rifle shooting with an AR in IPSC and CMP Service Rifle is what it's all about IMHO ;-)

--

Regards,

See if you can get factory mags, do a Google for Chief AJ. They do great job trigger job with overtravel screw, and will fire lap the barrel and thread it for you. Mine is just as accurate as my AR's. With Federal it will turn in 1moa. Choate makes stocks.

Best source of information on a Mini 14 is www.perfectunion.com.

I have to use one since I'm in Ca.

ASI has the best modifications available to get your Mini to be competitive.

Several guys I shoot with have had their mini's done by them.

Getting ready to order one from ASI now to have for the nationals.

They can modify your gun or buy one from them. Lots of options and several types of stocks.

• 6 months later...