Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt CRP-18 vs. DD4MV11 Pro?

Cole

I just picked up an Armalite M-153GN with the 18" barrel. Twice to the range with a couple hundred rounds thru it, and so far I'm quite impressed. Timney trigger, Luth stock, adjustable muzzle brake and gas block. Very accurate, Pretty much ready to compete. Under $1500 delivered from Bud's. My old rifle was a JP CTR-02, so I've had a good rifle before. Worth a look.

I would have considered a Colt, but no one anywhere had one in stock. Even looked at the DPMS 3Gun rifle. No where to be found. When the Armalite popped at Bud's, I figured I better grab one.

I actually just ordered a CRP-18 today. Colt Competition/Bold Ideas is tremendously back ordered right now. It may take 30 days to get it. There have been some significant changes/upgrades to the 2016 Gen 2 models:

55B8C136-44E1-4230-A8B8-E59823B26E93.png

27474814-4C3A-4CB1-BAE1-B9392F8FCED5.png

Good point, I didn't realize the CA compliant had bullet button requirement. That's a simple swap, though. Is there anything other than the bullet button and 10-round mag different between an EC and a standard CRP-18?

Edited by Cole

Good point, I didn't realize the CA compliant had bullet button requirement. That's a simple swap, though. Is there anything other than the bullet button and 10-round mag different between an EC and a standard CRP-18?

Good question - best to call Bold Ideas/Colt Competition.

Good question - best to call Bold Ideas/Colt Competition.

I called earlier this afternoon, but they're closed Fridays. :-) Was hoping I'd luck into some expertise here.

The Armalite 3GN 18" is the best outfitted gun for 3 gun. You can literally buy it off the shelf, no change one item and be competitive. It is the best bang for the buck rifle in the market today!

The Armalite 3GN 18" is the best outfitted gun for 3 gun. You can literally buy it off the shelf, no change one item and be competitive. It is the best bang for the buck rifle in the market today!

I'm not sure that it's best value or best outfitted. The Stag 3GN is probably the better value. The Colt is better equipped.

I'm not sure that it's best value or best outfitted. The Stag 3GN is probably the better value. The Colt is better equipped.
What does the Stag have on the Armalite? Besides the non adjustable gas block, non tunable muzzle brake that everyone hates, non adjustable stock, trigger that many people don't care for and a handguard that I personally don't care for?

What does the Stag have on the Armalite? Besides the non adjustable gas block, non tunable muzzle brake that everyone hates, non adjustable stock, trigger that many people don't care for and a handguard that I personally don't care for?

It can be had for less money.

OP here. I took the plunge and picked up a Colt CRP-18 . . . EC. No, I don't live in the People's Republic of California, so bullet button swapped and I'm good to go. This looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Note: The other feature those looking at EC version should be aware of is that its stock length is locked on the CTR. I think mine's locked in position 6, which actually fits me.

Edited by Cole

I can get a DPMS M4 wannabe for $700. By your logic, clearly this is the best choice. Same as Kia's trump BMW's because they're cheaper. Everyone knows this.

I can get a DPMS M4 wannabe for $700. By your logic, clearly this is the best choice. Same as Kia's trump BMW's because they're cheaper. Everyone knows this.

<Sigh>You asked what the the Stag has on the Armalite and I said that it could be had for less money...it's perhaps a better value as I originally indicated. Value is only one attribute. It may be the only deciding attribute for some, or it may be one of many. However, your analogy demonstrating "my logic" is clearly flawed. Quit while you're behind.

OK so maybe my analogy was exaggerated and intentionally argumentative. To be more serious, if you have real aspirations of 3 gun greatness +/- $300 on a rifle is a drop in the bucket, you'll burn that up in ammo and entry to a couple matches. If you don't have that much ambition almost any decent rifle will do, buy what's in your budget and don't worry about it.

OK so maybe my analogy was exaggerated and intentionally argumentative. To be more serious, if you have real aspirations of 3 gun greatness +/- $300 on a rifle is a drop in the bucket, you'll burn that up in ammo and entry to a couple matches. If you don't have that much ambition almost any decent rifle will do, buy what's in your budget and don't worry about it.

While I don't necessarily disagree, the argument could also be made that if you have what it takes for "3 gun greatness" almost any old rifle will do. That $300.00 difference can go a long way toward an entry level optic.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg - some folks don't know if they have both the passion and the skill for 3 gun until they try it. Most won't buy premium equipment until they know the passion...the desire is there. So many folks buy "starter guns" and I think the Stag 3G has been quite popular in this regard.

Fair enough.

In my case, I've made due for the past year or so with 16" Colt 6940P that's more well outfitted for tactical, defensive work. As mentioned above, I recently ordered a Colt CRP-18 which is among the more premium options in the "race ready" rifle segment. The Armalite was a close 2nd for me.