Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Me Get Started !

AdamMP9

Heya guys ,

I'm moving to USPSA and IDPA full time now and have money burning a hole in my pocket . I have all the necessary gear and items except for yep you guessed it , the gun !! So basically I need some assistance in helping with my decision making process . Being a shotgun shooter for many years I realize the pain in the rear decision it is purchasing a gun to get comfortable with , being there are so many damn choices nowadays . So let me start by saying this , I've fired many many many rounds out of handguns over the years and the guns I have experience with are as followed .

Sig P320

Glock 34

Glock 17

M&P Pro 5

M&P 4.25

CZ P09

CZ SP01

Various 1911's

Grand Power X-Calibur

That being said , I have the emphasis on shooting Production and SSP and I have a really big interest in a Tanfoglio , Stock 2 or 3 doesn't really matter to me , but if I am correct I don't believe they are SSP legal so that trumps that idea . Or possibly a SP-01 Shadow , Which after shooting a standard SP-01 very well I can only assume the shadows are just that much better . The Grand Power was awesome , but I don't see a whole lot of aftermarket support for it and know alot about it other than it shoots fantastic and tracks just as good as the SP-01 I shot . Glocks are well , glocks lol . M&P's accuracy is all over the place it seems so who knows , and the P320 is pretty darn sweet in itself . I'd appreciate any and all comments or ideas and am open to anything . So without anymore pointless rambling , I have $1400 to play with at the moment , so build me a gun !!

I loved that X-Calibur man , I'm really leaning towards that particular gun but I can't shoot it in IDPA . Another one is the Bersa Thunder Pro XT , ironically it's reversed lol , legal in IDPA but not USPSA yet .

I thought the X-cal was idpa legal? I really don't know all of their rules though. Chances are you won't shoot idpa long, USPSA is so much more fun!!! I shot Glock starting out, you can do well with them but I do think the X-cal cz, and Tanfo have an advantage.

If I have to do it all over again, I'll choose the .40S&W to begin and start reloading as soon as I can. I'll probably get a Glock 35, load minor PF and shoot Production. As I upgrade my gear, I'll end of shooting Limited with major PF. I can also get a 1911 in .40S&W, so I can shoot Single Stack in major PF. I'll entertain the idea of shooting 9mm revolver but I probably won't go for the Open.

Consider an XDm. I love mine, it's more accurate than me, and I'm sure it's SSP legal. I like 9mm but if you got it in 40, you could load for minor PF and if you decided later you wanted to move to ESP and Limited, you slap a mag well on that sucker, load to Major PF and you're ready to rock.

If you want to know what everyone else is running, from the 2015 USPSA Nationals equipment survey. What you don't see on the list is what doesn't work well for competition. You could shoot a HiPoint, but it would suck. Personally I shoot Glocks, but my crew has CZ's, and STI's. So for $1,400 get a G34 and a CZ75 or buy one STI. And of course a gun belt, like CR speed or Wilderness, 6 OEM magazines, 5 mag pouches, a good holster, BladeTech, Safariland, and electric ears. What you learn is there is much, much more going on in competition than just a gun. Get to your nearest match and see what the locals are running. Probably one of the hosers will let you borrow his rig so you can jump in.

Production
CZ-35%
Glock-28%
Tanfoglio-12%
S&W-9%
Springfield-8%
Beretta-2%
Sig-1%

Open
STI-77%
SV-14%
Other-9%

Limited/L-10
STI-56%
Wilson-15%
Glock-10%
SVI-14%/5%

Edited by 9x45

CZ SP-01 Shadow ....

When you hear people talk about comparing Production guns you invariably hear something along the lines of "my XXXX blaster is similar to a Shadow in that .... " It's the gun everyone likes to compare against .... there's a hint in there somewhere ... :)

Edited by Nimitz

If you want to know what everyone else is running, from the 2015 USPSA Nationals equipment survey. What you don't see on the list is what doesn't work well for competition. You could shoot a HiPoint, but it would suck. Personally I shoot Glocks, but my crew has CZ's, and STI's. So for $1,400 get a G34 and a CZ75 or buy one STI. And of course a gun belt, like CR speed or Wilderness, 6 OEM magazines, 5 mag pouches, a good holster, BladeTech, Safariland, and electric ears. What you learn is there is much, much more going on in competition than just a gun. Get to your nearest match and see what the locals are running. Probably one of the hosers will let you borrow his rig so you can jump in.

Production[/size]CZ-35%[/size]Glock-28%[/size]Tanfoglio-12%[/size]S&W-9%[/size]Springfield-8%[/size]Beretta-2%[/size]Sig-1%[/size]

Open[/size]STI-77%[/size]SV-14%[/size]Other-9%[/size]Limited/L-10[/size]STI-56%[/size]Wilson-15%[/size]Glock-10%[/size]SVI-14%/5% [/size][/size]

You can't shoot a Hi-Point in Production. It's not on the list.

I really liked the SP-01 I shot alot . Glock 34 I liked as well . My issue with choosing is I don't have very large hands and alot of these guns I have to flip around in my hand quite a bit for mag changes , it's irritating lol .

CZ SP-01 Shadow ....

When you hear people talk about comparing Production guns you invariably hear something along the lines of "my XXXX blaster is similar to a Shadow in that .... " It's the gun everyone likes to compare against .... there's a hint in there somewhere ... :)

So you've shot all those different guns and still don't know which you prefer? It doesn't really matter which ones we like, it has to work for you. I don't think having to break your grip to reach the mag release is a big deal, lots of people do it.

If you're really undecided maybe go to a local USPSA match and chat up some people with various guns. Maybe they'll let you test some of them out and run some drills with them.

Yes a hard decision about sums it up . I guess if it makes any sense at all , the SP-01 and Glock 34 were the easiest for me to manipulate fairly consistently . The Grand Power was the best in terms of manipulating , the mag release button is about the size of a golf ball lol ....

So you've shot all those different guns and still don't know which you prefer? It doesn't really matter which ones we like, it has to work for you. I don't think having to break your grip to reach the mag release is a big deal, lots of people do it.

If you're really undecided maybe go to a local USPSA match and chat up some people with various guns. Maybe they'll let you test some of them out and run some drills with them.

I have Xcalibur for production and XTrim for IDPA. I actually use Xcalibur lower and just throw XTrim slide in for IDPA. I usuaally bring both guns , this way I hve back up. It'll cost you around $1600 , but you get 2 guns.

I have Xcalibur for production and XTrim for IDPA. I actually use Xcalibur lower and just throw XTrim slide in for IDPA. I usuaally bring both guns , this way I hve back up. It'll cost you around $1600 , but you get 2 guns.

I struck a deal for an X-Calibur today actually lol . And I will be purchasing the XTrim as well , going to be a great combo I think .