Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do Other Sports Beckon?

Thaunk

I'm not sure if I'm just being too hard on myself or if I'm just not going to get it with 3 gun. My first match I timed out on the first stage and the last stage with the runs in between being appropriately slow. I can handle that to some extent. I shot my 2nd match on Friday. I changed divisions from Factory to Practical as my eyes suck and I can't use a red dot to hit things beyond 150 yards. First stage I again timed out. Second stage actually went pretty well. I got my first 3 gun DQ for an AD over the berm on the 3rd stage. I think I tripped or something and like an idiot had my finger on the trigger of my shotgun. I don't remember putting it there. Everybody was super friendly when they honestly didn't have to be. Part of me understands that this is a thing that happens but another part is worried that I just don't have the mental capacity to watch what I'm doing. What I've seen of 3 gun so far I've really enjoyed, but I don't want to be a danger to the other competitors.

I often advise people to get a lot of trigger time before moving into the competitive sports. I don't know what you have for trigger time, but I like the first two posts. There's a lot to process when you add the "running around" aspect to our sport so we need to make sure that we have the firearms part down really well before adding movement.

walk ... crawl .... run

Or in Action Shooting terms ...

Steel Challenge .... IDPA ..... USPSA ...... 3-Gun

I like this. I never did much steel challenge mainly because it's just not popular around where I live. IDPA was a good opener for me. It's very reigned in and scripted so a good place to experience competition at a measured pace. Once you hit USPSA things speed up and a lot more responsibility on you to be competent with manipulations and movement.. And the there's Multigun! Tons of fun (tho I could stand for 2x the rifle and pistol and about 25% of the shotgun- but that's another discussion) but I think if I had tried to jump into a Multigun match before I did anything else I would have definitely felt overwhelmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't enjoy my first IDPA shoot but I've been shooting USPSA for about a year. I have no plans to stop and I certainly find it less complex in some aspects. I'll give steel shooting a try too.

USPSA is my preferred game. IDPA has too many rules, steel challenge looks kind of boring, and I don't hate myself enough for 3 gun. We have some man on man, drag racing style steel matches around here, but I'm trying to focus on my Prod game in USPSA. In my humble opinion, age isn't as big a factor in USPSA, I've seen guys many many years my senior burn through stages faster and more accurately than me, and I'm no slouch. Or I try not to be! :)