Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Carbon Arms Backbone Excessive?

PHX

I have been using the Taccom 4up dual load caddies for awhile. I am wanting to switch to quad loading. I currently shoot right handed and roll the shotgun over to load with weak hand. I want to switch to throwing the stock on my shoulder and loading strong hand. I was considering the carbon arms backbone. Being able to carry 24 rounds that close together seems like a good way to do it. However, I'm not sure if that's going to make loading difficult since the first 4 shells I'll grab will be close to my left hip. Also, I can't think of many times I've needed 24 rounds in a stage.

Would I be better off going with a different caddie, or just not loading the backbone all the way up so my reach won't be as far?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I wear my backbone even on shorter stages just because I load best from it, better than anything that is at my belt level (I keep the backbone on my stomach). I'm skinny and also load with my weakhand and have never had an issue with the first set of shells. I do, however, start by pulling shells from my right side (I'm a righty) instead of the left like you.

I just looked at carbon arms website. It seems the pinwheel is what theKenny is referring to. They are inexpensive, but also looks like I could create my own pinwheel plate with some kydex sheet. Might be a interesting experiment.

Put some pics up when you are done. Interested in what you are thinking of. I am in the same boat. I think or feel that I am faster with strong hand loading.

When you roll over the shoulder, do roll left or right being a right hand?

Will do.

I mount the shotgun with right hand on trigger and left hand supporting. When I go to reload i throw the stock on my right shoulder with my right hand, and contunie to support the barrel with left hand.

• 3 weeks later...

24 rounds doesn't sound excessive at all. In a pure shotgun match I would say you want at least 24 on a belt. Also if you decide to load on the right shoulder you should adjust your backer plate so it starts mid body and arcs around your right hip in the loading arm range of motion.

For an all shotgun stage, I had a 12 round Carbon Arms, a 4 round AP, and 9 in the shotgun. And, after a couple misses on a Texas star, I ran out and couldn't finish. Stages can get ridiculous. Keep the 24, just leave some empty slots on shorter stages.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...