Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fire sizing .308 brass

rustybayonet

Neck size and bump the shoulder back about .002".

In a bolt gun? I've NEVER needed to bump the shoulder back on bolt gun brass fired out of my rifle. I use new Lapua brass and get 5 firings neck size only prior to anneal and full length sizing and trimming.

No. If you wanted, and your shooting a bolt action rifle, you can deprime and reprime the brass, scoop up some powder and place a bullet in the case. Insert case with zero neck tension in rifle and shoot it without an issue. So technically, no you dont. Also, if you have very little to no neck tension in a custom, tight-neck rifle, then you could also get away without sizeing a case.

For 99.999% of other rifles and for all practical purposes, yes you need to at least neck size the cases each time you shoot. For a bolt gun, .001-.002 neck tension is sufficient, for a semi auto .002-.004.

I FL size all my brass for all my guns to include NRA LR 1000 yd rifles. Your primer pockets will open up before your necks split or your cases seperate in most cases when your running hot loads. When primers start getting loose i trash the brass.

Neck size and bump the shoulder back about .002".

In a bolt gun? I've NEVER needed to bump the shoulder back on bolt gun brass fired out of my rifle. I use new Lapua brass and get 5 firings neck size only prior to anneal and full length sizing and trimming.

If I don't bump I have to whack the bolt closed on brass that's been fired a couple of times.

What ever combination of FL, NS or NS with shoulder bump you use, you should not have to smack or forcibly close the bolt. You risk damaging your lugs. If, with what ever sizing system you use, you have inconsistent bolt close "feeling", this is normally an indicaiton of inconsistently sized brass. This happens. A FL size will normally bring all cases back to the same dimension.