Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA racer holster for 1911s

Im in the market for a new open holster and I really like the way the DAA holsters work, but I have heard of some negative issues with 1911 interchangeably. The main reason Ive been told boils down to the trigger guard. And since every manufacturers frame is different there are fitment issues. Basically if it's too thin then the gun wobbles in the holster. But what constitutes to thin, what is the standard for 1911s? Does anyone have this holster with no frame wobble? If so can you mesure your guard?

So is there a way to get around this? Can the holster be shimmed or new parts made larger if my 1911 is loose? I want to stay away from the muzzle holder option. I'd hate to spend all that money to find out it doesn't work.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I went through this last year, with 3 different gun manufacturers, Nighthawk Custom, Springfield Loaded and an STI Spartan ( which has since been sold and a 9mm Springfield RO replaced it) None of these 3 would fit ' comfortably' would they have fallen out ? probably not just didn't feel secure.

I ended up going with a JR Micro for my 'race' holster, fits all three and does feel very secure.

Hope this helps

If the fit of the standard 1911 insert is too loose, DAA can supply a "tight 1911" slide lock, which you can modify according to the instructions mentioned above. This will pretty much guarantee a perfect fit.

Some shooters prefer the optional muzzle support on round trigger guard guns, like the 1911.