Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P pro ejection

echotango

If it's running lighter ammo, install a 13-lb spring in the gun to speed the slide back up...

If it has light loads and a light spring, or standard power loads and stock recoil spring? Have her tighten up her grip pressure. That's the actual cause. When my girlfriend shoots her M&P standard length fullsize, the brass came from a 124PF 9mm reload came right back at her if her grip slackened... it also often failed to load the next round. It ejected normally (3 feet to the side and over your right shoulder) trajectory when I shot it and also fed reliably.

Re-springing the gun to match the lighter ammo caused it to operate correctly for both of us. The only reason she fired it before she installed the new recoil spring was simply because she was itching to shoot and the sights/Apex parts/spring were not here yet.

Honestly, even with full-power loads I'd probably have dropped her recoil spring down to a 13 pounder for better ejection & reliability for a 110-lb girl with a looser grip.

Random note: my Shield ate that light ammo without a single hiccup for both of us - an impressive gun!

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Thanks. It has a 13# spring, apex trigger kit and the ammo is 124pf(135gr/3gr titegroup). I just went to the range and tested it with me shooting it and it ran perfectly. I will work on her grip. I am sure it is her grip as she is 95# and her hands are very small.

Edited by echotango

If it's running lighter ammo, install a 13-lb spring in the gun to speed the slide back up...

If it has light loads and a light spring, or standard power loads and stock recoil spring? Have her tighten up her grip pressure. That's the actual cause. When my girlfriend shoots her M&P standard length fullsize, the brass came from a 124PF 9mm reload came right back at her if her grip slackened... it also often failed to load the next round. It ejected normally (3 feet to the side and over your right shoulder) trajectory when I shot it and also fed reliably.

Re-springing the gun to match the lighter ammo caused it to operate correctly for both of us. The only reason she fired it before she installed the new recoil spring was simply because she was itching to shoot and the sights/Apex parts/spring were not here yet.

Honestly, even with full-power loads I'd probably have dropped her recoil spring down to a 13 pounder for better ejection & reliability for a 110-lb girl with a looser grip.

Random note: my Shield ate that light ammo without a single hiccup for both of us - an impressive gun!

I second this. My wife and son can induce a FTE/FTF on my M&P Pro if they are not using a tight grip using a very light load like 147gr w/ 3.1gr of TG. I simply told them to tighten up their grip and problem disappeared as this is a mechanics issue, not a gun or ammo issue. Ejection pattern on this ammo is about 3 oclock, and very light, maybe 18 inches, and consistent when I shoot it. This same ammo in the Shield has no issues just like Memphis said. I have not changed recoil springs in either of my guns.

My friend's daughter has the same problem. We tried a 13lb recoil spring but it did not seem to help. Replacing the factory extractor with an Apex FRE did reduce the problem significantly. Our next step is to work on her grip and possible play with the ejector face shape.