Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case powder check

Never could get it to be reliable so I took it off and learned to visually verify powder in each case before placing a bullet. Its faster and more reliable once I got used to not having that crutch.

jj

I've been using Dillon's powder check since the early 90s. I've never had any problems with it. I don't understand what the problems are?

As far as the Mk1 eye being more accurate/ reliable? I know the powder check will let me know when there's a piece of media in the case or if the charge is around a half a grain over or under by setting the rod and activator up properly. I'm getting older and my eyes just aren't as good as they once were. I know they can't tell the difference even in one grain of powder.

I use one for .223 but I modified it to work better.

I turned the tip down slightly to give it a better taper to fit into the small case mouth. Chuck it up in a drill and use a bastard file, the brass removes easily. Make sure you leave a flat face on the bottom. You just want to increase the taper slightly to allow it to find the case mouth easier. Be careful not too bend the sensor rod by applying too much pressure.

With every powder check sensor I polish the crap out of it so it shines like gold. Chuck it up in your drill again, wrap it in never dull and spin away. this will keep powder from sticking to it and getting pulled from the case when the sensor pulls away.

Using 8208XBR and other powders that meter well in the Dillon Drop this allows me to get great, safe production.

Has anyone had an issue with powder flakes sticking to the rod causing it spill on the plate at all.

Wipe the rod with a drier sheet - the stuff used to reduce static cling in clothes. .

Has anyone had an issue with powder flakes sticking to the rod causing it spill on the plate at all.

Wipe the rod with a drier sheet - the stuff used to reduce static cling in clothes. .

It's also not a bad idea to wipe it off with alcohol after the dryer sheet. I found out the hard way that some dryer sheets are somewhat oily - not really oily, but some chemical.

It's also not a bad idea to wipe it off with alcohol after the dryer sheet. I found out the hard way that some dryer sheets are somewhat oily - not really oily, but some chemical.

That should be a USED drier sheet. The chemicals used to soften clothes has evaporated into the drier. There may be residual chemicals, but nothing like an unused sheet.