Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy

Tommyforthe2

Im new to shooting, my sight alignment is straight, good great and trigger pull i would say is fair but I'm not hitting my targets on command. Slow easy trigger pull to the back with the pad of my finger seems to not work every time. What wrong, sometimes im low and left, to the right, high but consistent i am not. Please help me. What could i be missing.

Im new to shooting, my sight alignment is straight, good great and trigger pull i would say is fair but I'm not hitting my targets on command. Slow easy trigger pull to the back with the pad of my finger seems to not work every time. What wrong, sometimes im low and left, to the right, high but consistent i am not. Please help me. What could i be missing.

I can almost guarantee you are closing your eyes at trigger break and not watching the sights at fire. It's a natural instinct to protect your eyes. You should be able to see the muzzle flash "backlight" the sight picture which will tell you exactly where the shot will go. I suspect if you focus 100% on tracking the sight image you will be able to see the sights move when you fire which is why the shots are inconsistent.

Low left hits are almost always caused by yanking the trigger. Guess how I know.

Edited by bountyhunter

practice. as a newer shooter, dryfire practice is invaluable when it comes to trigger control. grip the gun hard with your support hand, relax your strong hand slightly, especially your trigger finger.

take some time to do some dryfire pulls in between live fire pulls at the range, concentrating on watching the sights and not blinking. Grumpy's suggestion of double plugging is also a good one. that helped me when I was newer and struggling with flinching and blinking.

Thank you all for your advice, i attached a pic of my 15 to 20 yard group, all while aiming for the center. I shoot 40's nothing else. I kinda felt like at times it was hard to stay focus on my sight picture and i'm almost always never able to track my shot after trigger pull. I have incorporated dry firing, the wall drill and balancing with a spent round at the front of the sights trying to improve a slow clean trigger pull with out muzzle interruption. I have never thought to try ear plugs, might give it a try. Please give me any feedback on the attached picture. 3 guns used, 6 bullets a piece.

post-63084-0-02218500-1457145325_thumb.j

Along with everything else already mentioned here: Shoot at a smaller target. Put up a three inch bullseye so you have something to really focus on. Later, you'll be able to shoot those same groups by aiming at the center of a large area.

What guns are you shooting?

At 20 yds some new guns are that far off out of the box. Have you tried shooting from a sandbag to sight in?

Your group isn't bad and it could be that the rr sight needs a push.

If that's ok, do you shoot with someone? Have a buddy load a dummy round or two in a magazine (so you won't know where it I s) and then observe you. When you hit the "click" it will be apparent to both of you if you are moving the gun before firing.