Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Longest 125 grain 9x21 cartridge in a Tangfoglio pistol?

grinder

9x21 is a different beast than 9x23 or the 38 super/supercomps.

If your pistol is a small frame you will have to load it to basically 9x19 lengths - maybe 1.140-1.160 depending on what your mags will take. If it is a large frame you could try going longer, depending on your chamber.

The 9x21 is a way around the military cartridge ban some countries have, and it migrated here around '90s with the early Tanfo guns, and is also was a way around the 9x19 restrictions for major by USPSA in place at the time.

Basically, you will have to figure out how long your mags/gun/chamber will handle by loading up some dummy rounds and doing plunk/spin tests and feed tests.

Which version of xtreme bullets are you going to use? Will be going a little fast for standard plated. Depending on the gullet profile your magazines or the plunk test will be the limit for your oal like the others have said. My 9x21 factory ammo is 1.13 and most load data out there is in the Same range as 9x19. 1.06-1.16

Glk21C,

I will start at 1.160 and go up/down as needed to fit the magazine or until the bullet hits the rifling.

Garmil,

I thought all X-treme bullets are heavy plate. I guess 124's are iffy at IPSC Major?

Thanks for all the replies, please keep the info flowing. Right now I will be starting with 6.4grn of AutoComp, in a new Starline case with small rifle primers.

Just checked the website and you are right, heavy plate on HP and HPCB, others bullets have standard plating. Not much extra money to get the hollow point as opposed to the round nose. Will order a couple of boxes for testing, thanks for the tip on heavy plating.

Just checked out Precision Delta, really nice bullets but kind of pricey. I didn't see the discount for 2000 bullets, but unless substantial they would still be kind of expensive. Maybe I'll use them for bigger matches. Thanks for letting me know about them.