Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 Shellplate for 38S&W

I am getting ready to reload some 38/200 loads from my Webley Mark IV. I have all the components and I thought I had all the parts I needed for my press, except I found that 38S&W will not fit in the 38 Special / 357 Mag shell plate. The rims are the same diameter and similar thickness but the slightly larger diameter case body is keeping them from seating into the shell plate. Dillon does not list 38S&W for the XL650 (although they do for the 550).

Has anyone had any experience reloading 38S&W on a Dillon 650? Specifically what shell plate did you use?

I figure worst case I will order a spare 38/357 and carefully open up the part that goes around the body of the case.

You're only talking .0075" difference in diameter. .00375" difference in radius. I'm not a machinist, and I don't know how you would do that precisely, but opening up the shell plate openings by taking off less than 4 thousandths ought to be doable.

Have you contacted Dillon about it?

You're only talking .0075" difference in diameter. .00375" difference in radius. I'm not a machinist, and I don't know how you would do that precisely, but opening up the shell plate openings by taking off less than 4 thousandths ought to be doable.

Have you contacted Dillon about it?

Yeah they are not that much different, and when I was getting everything ready I just assumed the 38/357 shell plate was going to work right up to the point where is did not. :)

I've loaded thousands of rounds on my 550 and 650 of .38 short colt using the regular .38 shell plate with no problems. Call Dillon and see if they recommend a different shell plate.

I have loaded a bunch of 38 Short Colt on my 650 but Short Colt is just a short 38 Special. 38S&W although nearly identical rim is just a touch bigger in the body, just enough to cause problems apparently

Yeah I sent Dillon and email last night. It was too late to call there tech support line by the time I figured it out last night. I will call this morning once they open up. Thought I would see if anyone has already figured it out. Thanks.

It greatly depends on what brand of brass you are using. For Winchester brass only, the "A" shellplate often works. Other brands not so much. There is just not enough demand for 38 S&W to justify producing it.

Thanks! I spoke with someone Dillon on the phone about the time you posted and they shared similar information. My current brass is Magtech and PPU. I will have to carefully measure my brass and try to decide weather order the #A shell plate or the #2 shell plate. If need be I will glue some emery cloth around a 3/8 dowel pin and open up the part of the shell plate, that goes around the body of the case, enough to accept my cases.

Everything about trying to replicate the 38/200 load has been tough but it's fun none the less. Thanks again for the info!

Got it. I took my #2 shell plate (38/357) and took 7-8 light passes with a 3/8 inch stone wheel in my Dremel and then a quick polish with a small felt wheel and polishing compound to remove the burs and the 38 S&W cases fit in very nicely.

38-200.jpg

Nice job! What kind of bullets are those?

After getting my Webley I started looking for a bullet to replicate the old Mk I load with. Some guys over at castboolits forum pointed me to Matt's Bullets (http://mattsbullets.com/) He offers four bullets specifically sized for the 38S&W and one of them is a replica of the 200gr hemispherical nose bullet used in the Mk I load.