Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Browning BuckMark to buy

YoshiShriner

I am looking to buy a Browning BuckMark for my son to shoot steel challenge.

Does anyone know the difference between the models as there are 34 different pistols on the browning page.

Ranging in price between $389-$579

There is a model for $739 but for a 12 year old I'm thinking its a bit much

Thanks in advance for any advise that you may have

I have a plain jane cheap 5.5" Stainless camper, took the stock sights off and just put a Allchin mount and c-more on it. Works great. I like the URX grips, but the UDX work fine too and might be better for smaller hands. The Lite versions are pretty nice and if you want to spend more are probably worth considering.

It is real easy to sink a lot of money into a .22, but for me this works and has been extremely reliable.

One thing - get a Ultimate Clip Loader by McFadden Machine (Amazon an Brownells has them). They are the the best for loading .22mags for steel challenge.

I also went with the SS Camper, because it has full size grips. I added a top rail and a Burris FF3 sight. It was fine for a while, but the bull barrel is quite heavy. I swapped it out for a 5.5" Tactical Solutions threaded, fluted barrel and a comp. I added Allchin grip tape strips to the front and back straps, added Allchin base pads to the bottom of the mags, and Aluminum grips. I also had a trigger job done to get a clean, crisp 2lb break.

The nice thing about a Buckmark is it is a nicely made pistol (although you can clean up some of the internals if you want) and replacement parts are cheap. I think I spent a whopping $20 for one of every part I thought could conceivably break. I carry them and tools around in my bag.

So, you can start out with the basic Camper and buy extra mags, then see how it goes. As I've outlined, you can trick it out as far as you want and make it a full race pistol if you want to. I did and it was still under $1000 (slightly) including red dot and everything. BTW, IMO the Buckmark is a superior gun to the Ruger. I had nothing but problems with the Ruger- mostly mags that would not drop out and things like that. Plus disassembling and reassembling a Buckmark is far easier.

If you are not set with a buckmark, the ruger 22/45's are really nice. The Lite versions have a top rail for optics and a factory threaded barrel. They do really need a few parts replaced though. the hammer bushing and sear are top 2 so mags drop free and the trigger doesnt suck. Mine is superbly accurate after break in and has been extremely reliable with cheap ammo. For some reason it didn't like CCI standard though.

Browning sells the Camper URX model in a package deal with 3 mags, if you can find one. My wife's cost $382 shipped.

The URX has the smaller grip, and we added some G10 grips. Worked well for my wife's smaller hands. And it already has a fiber optic front sight.

Bud's list them, but they are out of stock right now. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_145/products_id/411544466

She uses it for steel plate and does really well with it.

buckmark-1040546.jpg

Bob

Edited by BobT

• 4 years later...

The 5" light aluminum sleeved barrel one with a weaver rail is what I just bought. They're hard to find but very reliable. The barrel has shallow fluting and it's super fast to shoot. Much easier to clean than the older Ruger Mark 1 and 2 versions. But they don't like CCI tactical ammo due to the lightly stepped bullet ogive  design that ammo has. 

12 minutes ago, Dogface55 said:

Question... I have a Buckmark .22 the barrel doesn't seem to have any rifling. Is that normal or?? Thanks 

The rifling is very shallow, but it's there. All of the Browning Buckmark barrels are very accurate barrels too. You do not need an aftermarket barrel, unless you want a drop-in threaded barrel with a compensator (which are ridiculously over-priced, in my opinion.)

Edited by Glockster1

• 4 weeks later...

The rifling is very shallow, but it's there. All of the Browning Buckmark barrels are very accurate barrels too. You do not need an aftermarket barrel, unless you want a drop-in threaded barrel with a compensator (which are ridiculously over-priced, in my opinion.)

Ya but a TacSol barrel in a Buckmark is amazing