Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 ACP primer issues after ultrasonic cleaning

wyliearms

So I bought a Hornady Hot Tub for Christmas to get into ultrasonic cleaning. I've cleaded guns, parts, etc in it and it works great. I recently decided to use it to try a load of 45 ACP brass. It cleaned it great. Looks really good. Here is the issue. Tonight I started loading some of it to get ready for Saturday. Out of 200 rounds, about 7 knocked the top of the primer and left the circular sleeve in the primer pocket which as you will know, caused prining issues. Has anyone else ran into this? I was using their case polishing formula.

Edited by wyliearms

If you plan to wet-tumble cases, deprime them first. What happens is the brass corrodes, weakening the primer cup at the corner. During depriming, the primer cup separates, pushing off the end of the primer cup and the anvil, but leaving the sides in place. Not a happiness making thing, and one of the reasons Dillon Precision only offers dry-media case cleaning equipment.

Also it's possible - if it wasn't your fired brass - that it may have gotten wet before you got it. Everyone runs into this eventually if they use "pick up" brass. Save the case and sell it for scrap along with used primers.

If you plan to wet-tumble cases, deprime them first. What happens is the brass corrodes, weakening the primer cup at the corner. During depriming, the primer cup separates, pushing off the end of the primer cup and the anvil, but leaving the sides in place. Not a happiness making thing, and one of the reasons Dillon Precision only offers dry-media case cleaning equipment.

Exactly this, Dillon has it right. Haven't gotten into wet tumbling yet myself but occasionally pick up range brass that has been sitting in the elements for who knows how long. and leaves the side of the primer still in the case. I just throw them in my scrap bucket and move on.

If you want to clean them with your Ultrasonic cleaner either resize and deprime first or pick up an universal decapper so you dont scratch up your resizing die with dirty brass.

I dont want the extra step of decapping first. It takes more time. I've also never really been overly concerned in clean primer poskets for pistol. I was hoping the sonic cleaner would save some time not introduce an issue.

I dont want the extra step of decapping first. It takes more time. I've also never really been overly concerned in clean primer poskets for pistol. I was hoping the sonic cleaner would save some time not introduce an issue.

Technically true. However decapping on my 650 doesn't take long - not at 50 cases a minute.