Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reaming the throat

mrd

On my Tanfo, like many others, I have to load quite short. Shorter than I like, would like to be able to load 0.02-0.04" (0.5-1.0 mm) longer.

How hard is it to ream the throat? Can I do it myself with hand tools, or is a lathe a requirement? What is needed?

I was told by Dave manson that my stock 2 barrels couldn't be reamed due to them being chrome lined.

Thanks for that. He should know what he's talking about. Seems I'll have to live with the short freebore and OALs.

On my Tanfo, like many others, I have to load quite short. Shorter than I like, would like to be able to load 0.02-0.04" (0.5-1.0 mm) longer.

How hard is it to ream the throat? Can I do it myself with hand tools, or is a lathe a requirement? What is needed?

What length are you reloading to?

What length are you reloading to?

It depends on the bullet. The shortest is 1.07" for some TC's up to 1.16" for some RN's. Then I have about 0.015" clearance between bullet profile and leading.

I determine max OAL by using a casing with a cut mouth and inserting a bullet in it. Then I check at what length it turns freely in the chamber and subtract 0.015".

Edited by mrd

Instead of looking to modify the gun, why not find out what people are using that is successful?

I'm using this- http://www.blackandbluebullets.com/147_9mm_Flat_Point_1000ct_Shipping_Included/p1287789_6029332.aspxat 1.1" out of a Stock 2.

Couple of reasons. I load for several shooting disciplines, I need on occasion to load harder than PF 125 and short loads gives a very small pressure window. I'm almost always outside the loading charts with OAL and have to experiment with less powder than minimum recommended to make it work with pressure on these short OALs. It works with what I have, but it's time consuming. Making freebore longer would be the best solution, but since it seems it can't be done on a chromed barrel I'll just have to work with what I have.

Looks great, but I live in Sweden so I don't have the same options for bullets. Never seen those here.

Ill say it has a lot to do with the bullet geometry. I just switched from 147 FP bbi's which i had to load down to 1.09 to 147gr RN SNS Casting that I am able to load to 1.15.

I don't know about the Stock 2, but my Limited 9 and two other Limited 9 uppers were chrome on the outside but the bores apparently were not since I reamed them very easily with a Manson throating reamer. I had to get a reamer with a front pilot bushing sized to clear the bore since the standard reamer will not clear the polygon bore. Just a little cutting oil, a few turns and I now shoot 125 HAP loaded to 1.14. Some Tanfo barrels may be chrome bores I just don't know. I have two barrels I cannot ream due to chrome bores, XDm 5.25 and a CZ P-09. The CZ P-07 and CZ 75 were not chromed and reamed easily. For me loading short for one or two pistols is a pain when am loading for ten others that are long. It is worth the price of a reamer to try it since Manson throating reamers are not very expensive.

I did think this was a rather interesting note.

My "new" model stock 2, with the lessened beaver tail and slightly enlarged trigger guard REQUIRES shorter ammo than my old model stock 2.

My old model stock 2 runs ammo at 1.125" all day long, gobbles it. My new model Stock 2 will not load that ammo, and requires it at 1.060".

Kind of an interesting comparison.