Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying to get my club involved in 3-gun

I am trying to get my club to start 3-gun tournaments. The idea is getting run by the Board at the next meeting to see if it is something they want to move forward with. My question is, is there a source that goes into detail of how to get it up and running? I would most likely have to assemble a team and need basics on how many people it takes for set-up, judges, etc. Just entry level stuff that I can present to the club. Any help is appreciated.

I have read some things on 3gunnation's website already. Just looking for a lot of info I can sift through to gain more knowledge on the subject.

I'm sure if it happens, the first year will be a learning curve on the ins/outs but hoping we can get it done. There is nothing for 3-gun within 1.5 hours of here that I can find.

....... Wish you luck. If approved by the Board, it may quickly become the most popular match at your club.

With 3 Gun Nation you can present a written set of rules that is used across the nation. You will also have access to a variety of stages to help you get off the ground.

For your initial match, consider several classifier stages. Easy to setup and score. As long as you follow the WSB, most of the bugs have been worked out.

For staff, plan on a MD/RM, an RO and a scorekeeper for each stage, and a nice sized group of folks to setup and tear down.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

If your club is already shooting Uspsa matches, I'd recommend using those rules for 3 gun. You'll already have some ROs familiar with the safety rules of Uspsa and Uspsa allows for time plus points scoring.

It's pretty easy to take a Uspsa stage and turn it into a 3 gun stage. We do that at a few matches a year. Add a dump barrel, or a barrel to stage a long gun in, add some small steel knock overs for shotgun and it's ready to roll.

If your club isn't shooting Uspsa already, it's going to be a bit more learning curve to get 3 gun running. But with a few hands that have shot 3 gun matches before, you should have enough heads involved.

Uspsa got a lot of flak several years back for ignoring the desires of 3 gun competitors. But if you're starting from scratch I think it's the best option.

Start small.

Tell us what kind of events your club already holds first off, if you guys don't shoot anything sanctioned by anybody, then formal 3-gun is going to be pretty far out of your league.

There are logical next steps for if you're nearly there, not even close, or going in the wrong direction (IDPA, ha).

From the sounds of it, an outlaw 2-gun match might be a more sensible start.

Start small.

Tell us what kind of events your club already holds first off, if you guys don't shoot anything sanctioned by anybody, then formal 3-gun is going to be pretty far out of your league.

There are logical next steps for if you're nearly there, not even close, or going in the wrong direction (IDPA, ha).

From the sounds of it, an outlaw 2-gun match might be a more sensible start.

Main focus right now are rifle matches 300-1000 yds. We do have some informal IDPA matches. Maybe I should think smaller for now and see how much interest we get before suggesting 3 gun. The Outlaw sounds cool. Just hate not having anything around here to shoot. I am in Nothern, DE about 20 mins from Philadelphia.

• 1 month later...

It took us a few months to get 3GN approved at our club. The nation wide set of established rules helped. The fact that your club is added to the nation wide data base of 3 gun clubs allows new shooters to find your club. It is only $50 a year for the club to join 3GN they send you a small banner 2x4 feet to hang up for events an a stack of window decals. 3 gun clubs also get discounts from some of the best companies in the business, like MGM gives a 10% discount on all their steel targets. If your club holds other types of matches they might not mind getting the discount.