Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bear Creek Vs Precision Bullets

Harmon

this neat comparo of the two bullets under nearly identical conditions..

4.0 grains, federal 200 primer precision 185s seated to 1.134 inches shoots right on 917 fps out of my glock and out of ten rounds fired had 7 fps extreme spread w/mixed brass (five of the ten chronographed right on 917 fps ;) ) some quick math shows that to be a 169 power factor load....right where i wanted it to be.

heres where the fun comes..

I then loaded with the same press settings and everything some bear creek 180s.

came out to be 1.140 inches OAL with the same powder primer and brass as the above load. when i shot these rounds over the chrono, every one of them was over 1000 fps, the low was 1014 and the high was 1022. 183 power factor..kinda warm for uspsa.

both loads were extremely consistent with very low extreme spread and SD...not like the standard deviation means anything to me...

I thought it was kinda neat that a lighter bullet loaded slightly longer over the same powder and primer still gave better power :huh:

Perhaps the thickness of the coating sped the bear creek bullet up that much..

Or it could be the hard cast bear creek bullet is harder, thus being easier to push.

who knows?

the winner for me is precision..they are slightly more accurate, smoke slightly less and they are made in Texas ;) , sadly they are also slightly more expensive.

BTW, since the precision is no longer cast, the bullets dont have bevel bases, they are lots easier to load on progressive equipment. B)

i guess that could be important...i edited it out before posting without knowing it...

its titegroup.

once i finish burning off the WST i have on hand with practice ammo, its gonna be TG and precision 185s..

this neat comparo of the two bullets under nearly identical conditions..

I thought it was kinda neat that a lighter bullet loaded slightly longer over the same powder and primer still gave better power :huh:

Perhaps the thickness of the coating sped the bear creek bullet up that much..

Or it could be the hard cast bear creek bullet is harder, thus being easier to push.

who knows?

How long are each of the two bullets?

I have 175 gr .40 semiwadcutters from Meister that are about 25 thousandths LONGER that the 180 gr moly's I've used, which are like the Precision and Bear Creek 180's in profile.

A longer bullet loaded to the same OAL will generate more pressure because of the smaller case volume for the powder, and could very well have higher velocity as a result.

With the 175's loaded with the same powder charge and primer as the 180's, even at 10 thousandths additional OAL (to max SAAMI spec for my factory chambers), the 175's are at at least 50 fps faster than the 180's, and in one gun over 75 fps faster.

Just my experience with one or two bullets. :rolleyes:

the new precisions are void the lube groove that bear creek and masterblaster have.

thus the bullet may even be shorter than the lighter bullet.

but its also seated shorter...

the smokieness isnt really that bad..it really depends on the lighting..

you shoot some plain lead with titegroup and it looks like the musket brigade is coming :lol:

once the WST is gone, its gonna be 185 precisions and titegroup or the 200 grain precision and universal clays ;)

nothing really wrong With WST, its max on pressure and barely makes major with 180 grain FMJs..and its sooty to boot <_<

200 grain bullets really feel better, 180s are cheaper...ahh the tradeoffs.

Harmon

the new precisions are void the lube groove that bear creek and masterblaster have.

thus the bullet may even be shorter than the lighter bullet.

but its also seated shorter...

Harmon

Ah, thanks for the clarification. The 175 Meisters I have are cast lead and have a lube filled groove (moderate to heavy smoke and fouling using UniClays, but OK for practice), and are 0.650 in length. The molys in 180 were the old style cast with a (now unfilled) lube groove, and are about 0.625 (the jacketed FP's I have in 180 are about 0.600, by way of comparison, with HP's a bit longer at 0.630). Smoke was mild to moderate, depending on the particular brand of bullet, and also a bit on the powder type.

You can tell that the Precisions were made quite a while ago... :P

Kevin C.

I got some of the new Precision 155's to play with and I really liked them. If you mike them out, they are absolutely identical in dimensions, just like jacketed bullets. I miked out some Bear Creek 140's I had and the width varied from .400 to .402. didn't really like that, because it changes the crimp from round to round.

The Precisions were just as consistent as my jacketed bullets and I didn't get ANY smoke out of mine at all. Plus, Dave is a super nice guy to deal with. I'll be getting his 185's when they get back in stock. He filled orders while he was out and went through 500,000 185gr bullets in a month.

• 2 weeks later...