Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked Frame?

G17raider

I would be concerned since this is a new gun, but that being said, the dustcovers only functionality is what its name implies (and to add weight:D ). It should be ok to shoot, but if it got out with that crack quality control is not doing it’s job. I would check over the whole gun to make sure everything is good to go.

I agree with these guys - if its a new gun, send it back to Para w/ a letter stating "WTF?????". They'll hopefully replace the frame, though it may be correctable via welding and refinishing. This kind of defect isn't acceptable on a new firearm. I agree w/ wombat that you should check the whole gun over to make sure that there aren't any other problems, too....

Its hard to say if the crack will develop into something that will interfere with the functioning of the gun - if it can be handled under warranty, there's no reason to worry about it....

A competent gunsmith can weld that up. I saw a Para once where the dust cover cracked completely through, so that the only thing holding it onto the rest of the frame was the scope mount. The dustcover was welded back onto the frame with no ill effects (except it is still a Para).

It's actually not a crack but a casting flaw. Paras are all racked with them horribly. That's why there are normally extra charges for finishing them. We get calls from our platers all the time asking us if we want a flaw that they uncovered welded up prior to plating.

Not sure what their response would be should you ask for warranty replacement. Can't hurt to try if it bothers you.

I agree with these guys - if its a new gun, send it back to Para w/ a letter stating "WTF?????". They'll hopefully replace the frame, though it may be correctable via welding and refinishing. This kind of defect isn't acceptable on a new firearm. I agree w/ wombat that you should check the whole gun over to make sure that there aren't any other problems, too....

I talked to Cameron(G17raider) this morning. He said this was a used gun w/ a bull barrel installed.

I talked to Cameron(G17raider) this morning. He said this was a used gun w/ a bull barrel installed.

Then I'd say just keep a close eye on it, and save the piece if it cracks off ;) If it starts to travel back towards the rails, take action. Either way, you can have it welded up and refinished, if it becomes a problem....