Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interesting observation. Steelmaster/match master

Speedsouthshooting

I took a steel master and a match master to the range chroning some reloads. I loaded 5.2 grains of WAC and a 124 grain plates round nose bullet for the steel master.

I loaded a starting point of 8.0 grains of HS-6 and a 124 grain played round nose for the match master.

The light loads ran very well at 133 pf and the majors ran about 161 pf but was still pretty flat.

For grins and giggles I tried the light loads in the match master and it cycled 100% and was actually softer than the steel master. I assumed the t2 trubor would rob velocity but was actually about 20 fps faster than the steel master. I believe I'm gonna like it better for steel than the steel master. Different results than expected.

• 2 months later...

That does sound interesting. I've been pondering over both of these pistols for the last couple of days debating which way to go. Really loaning toward the Match Master for the better comp.

Out of curiosity..... what are your thoughts on running a Steelmaster for USPSA Open class? Also what about the Trubor vs the Matchmaster?

Lots of people do. The smaller comp is definitely less effective (I have a T1 on my open gun) than a larger comp, but it works. All the older trubors came with the T1 comp. Mine is a 5 inch gun though, so I can get away with less power than a shorty would need. I think if it were me, between the short barrel AND the small comp, it might be a little much. But again, lots of people do it, so whatever works for you.

I think a Matchmaster or Trubor would be a better fit for major, if you are starting from scratch.

That does sound interesting. I've been pondering over both of these pistols for the last couple of days debating which way to go. Really loaning toward the Match Master for the better comp.

I went matchmaster. I mainly wanted a steel gun but wanted the option to shoot major in uspsa if I chose to. Match master has no problem running lighter loads. I just switched to a 7lb recoil spring for minor. Mine will shoot factory ammo without issue like that.

As to original post, might be softer shooting because the compensator is longer and heavier than the t1 the steel master has? The weight I would assume help keep the muzzle down. I run 5.2 gr of ac in some of my loads as well but mine is with 115gr bullets.

minor loads with slow powder, like ipsc geco (factory) is like shooting 22LR in my open gun, its just silly how effective it is

Army issue 9mm here is so effetive it wont even cycle slide, slide goes back maybe 5-10mm

Matchmaster and Steelmaster have 4.26" barrels. The matchmaster has small slide cuts on sides and top.

Turbor is 5" with full weight slide.

Newer models both have T2 comp "trubor" barrels.

Steelmaster uses a T1 comp "trubor" barrel and has more slide cuts.

I've shot the matchmaster primarily for the last two months. I definitely like it better than my Steelmaster. I have the hardened Crome model so it's much easier to clean. The grunge just wipes off. My loads are 133 pf and I haven't shot factory ammo through it but all of the factory 115's I've chronoed runs about 132-133 pf. Shot a Steel Challenge Sunday and was having some ejections issues with the brass hitting the cmore mount. I usually file off a bit on the mount and polish. If that doesn't do it I will put a brazos tuned ejector in it. I've had to use them on two different pistols and they are magic! Never had another issue after using their tuned ejectors. Also my cmore mount had vibrated loose as well as my daa holster. Lol

Not my day.

I spoke to STI a couple of weeks ago about running factory ammo and eventually going major PF on both the Steelmaster and matchmaster. They told me to go with a Steelmaster and when I run major change to heavy recoil master. They told me not to run a matchmaster on factory ammo...? Ended up getting a Steelmaster. I think the matchmaster from the factory has the heavy spring from what STi told me

I spoke to STI a couple of weeks ago about running factory ammo and eventually going major PF on both the Steelmaster and matchmaster. They told me to go with a Steelmaster and when I run major change to heavy recoil master. They told me not to run a matchmaster on factory ammo...? Ended up getting a Steelmaster. I think the matchmaster from the factory has the heavy spring from what STi told me

I can run factory ammo in my matchmaster. The ammo I use for steel challenge is a 124pf. I never tried it with the factory spring though. I just swap in a standard guide rod with a 7lb spring. Shoots very nice.