Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Huge Drop In Velocity Going To Jacketed

Shepard

I generally load lead 180 over clays. It is accurate with an extreme spread of 15 - 16 fps. But, on hot humid days the smoke can completely obscure the targets. So I decided to give jacket bullets a try. I loaded 180 grn Zeros and MG over my usual powder charge. I expected some drop but I lost a full 100 fps and the extreme spread went to between 90 and 100 on both bullets. Is this normal? If not, what is wrong?

Thanx, Shepard

I generally load lead 180 over clays. It is accurate with an extreme spread of 15 - 16 fps. But, on hot humid days the smoke can completely obscure the targets. So I decided to give jacket bullets a try. I loaded 180 grn Zeros and MG over my usual powder charge. I expected some drop but I lost a full 100 fps and the extreme spread went to between 90 and 100 on both bullets. Is this normal? If not, what is wrong?

Thanx, Shepard

Totally normal. Most cast bullets are .0005" TO .001" larger than jacketed. There's a huge difference in velocity because there's a huge difference in how the bullet fits in the barrel. I really have to pump up my MG loads over my lead loads.

Mixed brass maybe, I'm just getting set up so all I've got so far is the factory stuff I shot. It was all once fired UMC. But then I guess you'd have seen that with lead as well.

I'd have thought that the deviation would remain constant with just a switch to jacketed bullets.

Yea, the extreme spread is really throwing me. I expected a FPS drop but not the large ES, and with both types of bullets. Guess I gotta try them through my back-up gun and see if I get the same results.