Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" Revolver obselete?

Jeff686

I've been practicing action pistol at my local club, both semi-auto and pistol.  I've been using a 6" S&W 686.

I read somewhere that revolver barrel's are now 4" max for some competition.  Is this true?  What type of matchs will I be excluded from with my 6" flavor?

I'm trying to decide if it is necessary to get a 4" revolver?

Thanks!

Jeff

tightloop:

Where do you soot IDPA? I have almost never shot over about 12 yards in an IDPA match with 90% of the targets under 10.

I don't even own a revolver anymore, but I used to shoot them exclusively. I am thinking about getting an old model 15 from the local pawn shop and "get on out there". Near as I can tell, revolver shooting is a lost art.

I shoot in Tx, and they are running out of stages that are close, so they are moving the range out to 20 and to 30/35 here.  You are right, most of the stuff is close and short sight radius shouldn't be a problem; hell, I won 3 state championships with my Commander.

I too have given thought about getting an old 1917 rigged out and trying it.  I do not own a revolver either, but I have not yet done anything about that specific itch.  The reason I haven't done it yet is that I can't shoot Master level with my 1911 if I have to put it down to learn the trigger on a revo.