Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacing the spring in the Dawson Tool Less Guide Rod

buckonz

I have a DVC Limited and find the recoil spring a little strong. As a result I'd like to reduce it.

Has anyone replaced the spring in their Dawson Tool Less Guide Rod? Any instructions anyone could share? What did you replace the spring with (brands, weights)?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Hello I have relaced the spring in my dvc open. I got my spring kit on ebay for around 25$. Research Nictaylor00 on youtube, "how to tune for faster double taps" its a video on how to choose the right spring. The spring pack has several springs from 7-11 pounds I believe. Just make sure the open end of the spring is positioned to the front of the gun. Also check for coil bind, I had to clip a few coils off othe the 10# spring.

Hello I have relaced the spring in my dvc open. I got my spring kit on ebay for around 25$. Research Nictaylor00 on youtube, "how to tune for faster double taps" its a video on how to choose the right spring. The spring pack has several springs from 7-11 pounds I believe. Just make sure the open end of the spring is positioned to the front of the gun. Also check for coil bind, I had to clip a few coils off othe the 10# spring.

Thanks for that. But how do you physically change the spring in the device?

When you get the Dawson rod out of the gun, it's locked under a lot of pressure. How ate you supposed to release this, replace the spring and lock it back under pressure without losing an eye?

Lol, it's not under that much pressure. Just wipe it down to remove any oil so you can get a good hold of it. Put it on a table and push down on the reverse plug (the cylinder in the front) the latch will automatically retract and you can slowly release the pressure. It's super simple. Before you take the stock spring out with the gun fully assembled, pull the slide back all of the way and draw a line with a sharpie somewhere on the frame and slide. When you put the new spring in make sure that the mark on the frame and slide align. If they don't and the slide is not coming all the way back then clip coils off of the spring until they do 1/4 coil at a time. If you don't do this the slide will short stroke from coil bind and this will damage your gun.

Lol, it's not under that much pressure. Just wipe it down to remove any oil so you can get a good hold of it. Put it on a table and push down on the reverse plug (the cylinder in the front) the latch will automatically retract and you can slowly release the pressure. It's super simple. Before you take the stock spring out with the gun fully assembled, pull the slide back all of the way and draw a line with a sharpie somewhere on the frame and slide. When you put the new spring in make sure that the mark on the frame and slide align. If they don't and the slide is not coming all the way back then clip coils off of the spring until they do 1/4 coil at a time. If you don't do this the slide will short stroke from coil bind and this will damage your gun.

Thanks for that.

• 3 months later...

I have a DVC open in 38 super. Runs major @ 170PF great. I shoot some 3-gun and thinking of running a minor load, maybe even trying 9mm. I ran some 9mm thru it it shot accurate enough just not hot enough and would not cycle. I am coming from a Glock 17 open. I would just change the recoil spring. Is this all I have to change to run minor? What # and type of spring, Wolff?

Thanks, gerritm

I have a DVC open in 38 super. Runs major @ 170PF great. I shoot some 3-gun and thinking of running a minor load, maybe even trying 9mm. I ran some 9mm thru it it shot accurate enough just not hot enough and would not cycle. I am coming from a Glock 17 open. I would just change the recoil spring. Is this all I have to change to run minor? What # and type of spring, Wolff?

Thanks, gerritm

Try running your minor loads around 140 PF. You can try to get down to a 7 or 8 lb recoil spring to go lower (the comp bleeds a lot of gas / energy so you need to go way low on recoil spring) but you can then run into issues w the slide choking as it tries to chamber the next round.

So far the minor loads I've put together see the dot bouncing a lot more than my major loads and probably slow me down...