Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buckled Cases

GregJ

Recently added the Hornady bullet feeder and die to my LNL AP. I kept the RCBS lock out die, so I am having to seat/crimp in the same die. I have an RCBS seat/taper crimp die for this.

I also switched to the RCBS powder through expander, which greatly reduced the bullet tipping.

Now, I get one maybe two out of 100 that look like this. I believe it's due to the bullet not being completely straight when seated/crimped, but thought I would verify here. Looks like I may have more tweaking to do.

EDIT: Given that the brass is mixed headstamp, I also wonder if maybe some of the brass might be a little thicker walled, and it's being seated and crimped at the same time, causing the buckle.

post-31828-0-11076000-1452897808_thumb.j

Edited by GregJ

Is the bulge all the way around the case?

I have never seen case bulge like that except from a crooked bullet (shows on only one side) or WAY excessive crimp. Your crimp looks a bit excessive. I would back off the crimp and see how that goes.

PS: adjusting for COL, then adjusting for crimp, and then returning to the same COL setting has messed up lots of folks before.

Don't you wish it was a 6- or 7-station press?

I used to have that issue when I started reloading. I've since switched to Redding and Forster micrometer seating dies with spring assisted sleeves and not had that issue since. These seating dies are a lot more expensive than basic seating dies but I think they're one of the best reloading purchases I make and won't have a toolhead without them. In addition to seating the bullets properly up and down, they'll also align the bullets on the case for you as well, even if you set the bullet on the brass a askew, which speeds up the progressive machine as well. If you load a lot of .45, I'd recommend getting one for that round, and I'll bet after a few years all of your toolheads will have them!

Thanks. Problem with those seating dies is you have to crimp in a separate die, which I dont have a spare station. I'm going to try the Hornady CGND seat/taper crimp die see if it helps.

Hmmmm... Went back and re read the original post so I see what you mean. Not sure how the press is set up exactly, but I'd try to figure out a way to lose the lockout die and then crimp separately if at all possible. You'll have to visually watch your powder drops (which you should be doing anyway) but the benefit will be better produced ammo, I strongly suspect.

This happens when your crimp is set a hair too much. The crimp die pushes the case walls into the bullet before it has been fully seated and they snag. As the die moves the last little bit, the bullet can't go further into the case (due to the snagged case walls) and the ram simply squashes the cartridge - buckling the case.

Back off a tiny bit on the depth of the crimp die and it will stop.

Sent by Jedi mind control