Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Look For Your Moonclip During Reload

Shoepop

I was wondering how most do it. I just reach down and grab in no particular order without making eye contact. I run 8 carriers and do OK but once in a while in a long stage requiring many reloads I hit an empty carrier and have to move over to a loaded one. It does not take long. Is there a reason one should make eye contact ? That seem's to take my concentration off reload.

Shoepop,

I carry 8 moonclips and reload from left to right (off the belt). I don't (normally) look down to pull the moonclip. I am looking at the cylinder to ensure the empty is out and to "look" the loaded moonclip into the cylinder.

And sometimes, it works!

Dave

you must be kidding...it's by feel, even if I had a "space saver" spare tire instead of the m/t that I've got, it would still be by feel...some day I'll be trim and slim like Carden and those moons will just jump off the belt into the cylinder like it does for him...

don't you just hate that feeling of reaching for the moon and remembering that you forgot to hang them on the outside and now you've got the moon and holder in your hand....(only once so far, so embarrasing...)

mike sousa

I try to see as much as possible. Basically what I "need" to see is:

1) The clip

2) My hand on the clip

3) The chargeholes

I just tried it and actually the first thing I do once I called the last shot is move my eyes to the new clip while I unload the cylinder :)

Mark since you reload using a bordershift style your natural tendency should be to go from left to right. Your eyes should "snap and move" down to your next moonclip, the same type of technic you should be using when you are shooting a steel stage and going from target to target. In the time that you are opening and clearing the cylinder you should have the time to look over what you just shoot and decide of you need to do a make up shoot, just a quick glance then down to your belt, and the final and most important step of the reload is to be able to look down the cylinder and see all 6 or 8 holes, if you don't see that your going to have a fumbled reload.

since my strong hand never leaves the gun, I try to twist my elbow up, that way when the gun goes down towards my gun belt, and the barrel should be at a 45 pointed in from of you, gravity will keep the cylinder swung open, you should see nothing but holes. The nice thing about this type of reloading is you have movement on the stage, say you go towards your right, your right hand can go down towords the right side of your belt. if you go towards your left, then you keep the gun pointed uprange you can get a clear shoot at any part of your belt.

Remember One Thing!!!! This sport is VISUAL.

There are some things one can do instinctively, but "not" looking for you next reload isn't one of them.

I , like Spook, put my eyes on everything. The exception is the Unload "part". With both hands on the gun its very easy and quick to postion my fingers for the unload. As I perform the unload , simultaniously "eyes down" for next moonclip.

I would suggest grabbing the moon's in the same sequence. Over a period of time with lots of practice you develop an instinct of where to "look" for the next moon based on what you have used-up. That alone creates speed.

Micheal, as far as them jumping off my belt into the cylinder, Thats a "trick" i'd love to master. The "no handed reload".

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Well I started looking and it has made a difference (for the better) in my reloads. Now I just have to practice it enough to commit to memory. JR, after a night out at some of your seedier hangouts how in the world can you tell if you have 6,8 or 15 holes in your cylinder the next day ;)

Well I started looking and it has made a difference (for the better) in my reloads. Now I just have to practice it enough to commit to memory. JR, after a night out at  some of your seedier hangouts how in the world can you tell if you have 6,8 or 15 holes in your cylinder the next day ;)

Easy count the "clicks" after the last shot you fired before realising you should reload. :P

That's right Shoepop,

I think at the last match JR had 3-4 'groupies' waiting for him to get done shooting.

Something about them wanting dollar bills in their hot-pants... :P

Bear