Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Space between comp and slide question?

Rudukai13

This will likely sound fairly unorthodox to most open shooters but, hey - I'm a fairly unorthodox person, why fight it;

I'm wondering what importance there is to the space between the compensator and the slide, in regards to having a larger gap than standard? I'm still considering some things for how I want to build my open pistol, and I've had a fairly strange idea for how to set up the barrel length versus the slide length - I'm thinking about using an extended barrel to put some amount of space (less than one inch) between the end of the slide and the compensator, mostly for aesthetics. I understand this won't be everyone's idea of what looks good, but please try to restrain personal preference to entertain my question regarding functionality.

To put a bit more perspective on this, imagine using a Government length barrel and full-length guide rod with an Officer length slide and frame. What I'm going for is a bit of a "floating compensator" appearance. That being said, are there any functional concerns regarding a setup like this? Anything with the stroke of the slide on the frame that I'm not considering?

Of note, while I'm using the 1911 platform as a commonly-known point of reference, that's not the platform I'll be using for my pistol...

I can see an issue with barrel fit if you use a cone barrel. It will not have area to lock up on. If you use a bushing barrel, it would fix that issue. I'm sure there are people that will bring up other issues as well. From my limited knowledge this is the only issue I could foresee.

From what I understand as long as the barrel lock-up is good, than you can have just about whatever amount of room you like between the comp and slide. As you said it's just aesthetics. It's when the comp and slide bang into each other, is when there maybe an issue.

Edited by gunnit