Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550 Seating Die Question

Jk021054

I'm loading 45 Colt rounds. I have been using purchased lead bullets. I just started casting 255 gr RNFP bullets using a Lee bullet mold. The profile on the bullet tip is slightly different than the the insert inside of the seating die and does not contact the entire bullet tip.

My question is: Are there other inserts available for seating that fit these different profile bullet tips? Or, do you just adjust the seating die for depth regardless of how the insert contacts the bullet tip?

Rarely will a bullet profile fit a seater perfectly. If your bullets are soft the seater may leave a harmless little ring around the nose. Of course if you want a perfect match you can use a LEE seater and they'll make a custom plug for you pretty cheap.

There are other tricks such as hot glue and other stuff to form to the bullet. Do a search. It's talked about a lot on here

Thanks JC, good idea, maybe I will switch up and give the round nose insert a try.

I have another issue maybe someone can help with. I just loaded up some 45 Colt for the first time using the first run of 255 gr cast bullets I cast myself. I am noticing a slight difference in the seating depth on some of the finished bullets. I was trying to seat and crimp to the cannelure, but I'm having a problem seating to that depth every time. The only variable I can think of is the Alox tumble lube on the end of the projectile. Suggestions? Every bullet gages fine in the case gage. I'm sure the bullets will function fine, but I like to be dead on with my process. This is the first time I have used any tumble lubed bullets.

Thanks JC, good idea, maybe I will switch up and give the round nose insert a try.

I have another issue maybe someone can help with. I just loaded up some 45 Colt for the first time using the first run of 255 gr cast bullets I cast myself. I am noticing a slight difference in the seating depth on some of the finished bullets. I was trying to seat and crimp to the cannelure, but I'm having a problem seating to that depth every time. The only variable I can think of is the Alox tumble lube on the end of the projectile. Suggestions? Every bullet gages fine in the case gage. I'm sure the bullets will function fine, but I like to be dead on with my process. This is the first time I have used any tumble lubed bullets.

Check you case lengths too. They may vary enough to make the cannelure not match up with the case mouth on every case.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rusty, I'm using all Dillion equipment on my 550, so the Lee seater is not an option. I don't see any reason to invest more $$ just to seat these cast bullets. I am about to experiment with the Hi-Tek bullet coating on my cast bullets. The uniform coating should give more consistent size to the bullet tip. Also eliminates the waxy sticky finish that gums up my dies and fingers!