Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38super vs super comp

Cundiff5535

In my 650 supercomp was fine with the 9mm/38s plate.

With my 1050 it gets crushed quite a bit. If you have a 9mm shellplate id try it first. Esp on a 550 with no case feeder.

How would the case feeder effect either? Just wondering cause I do have the case feeder on my 550

ah, ok... Makes sense. I made 30 dummy rounds last night in 38sc with the 9mm shell plate, everything fed super smooth, no issues there, but looking at the base of the brass the markings from the sizing die didn't go 90* to all the cases if that makes sense. Again I'm still new here, so not sure if that means anything?

edit: here's pictures to explain what im looking at. Is this a problem, or is this normal? I dont have a 38sc case gauge yet, i'm planning on getting a hundo (love my 40 cal one) but i dont know yet wether im gonna be loading 38s or 38sc and dont really want to spend $200 in case gauges

38sc1_zpszknyit7u.jpg

38sc2_zpsspt387eg.jpg

Edited by evilbeef54

all 30 38SC that i ran through the 550 with the 9/40/38s shell plate plunk tested just fine, that is not to say that i may not run into issues down the road, but at least it does work i guess. I also have the 223 shell plate which i will most likely use. Just curious

I have both and i'd say the SC seems to feed slightly better, but may have slightly more extraction problems due to being rimless.

Would definitely choose one or the other, and NOT mess around with keeping track of both kinds of brass during reloading and which gun needs which brass!