Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Here I go! Tips for 1st match needed....

The time has come for this 50 y/o nana to jump on in!

I shoot USPSA....so not new to some things. I'm thinking that is like a tricycle in the mountain bike game, though.

I'm shooting my first 3 gun match tomorrow. I've put together all the necessary ( I hope i got it all) things I need. It's going to be clear and cooooollllllddddd (low 30's)

I've watched, read, and dreamed of everything I could possibly find on the subject until my dogs are even sick of hearing about 3 gun.

Thank you ALL for posting as much as you do. You have no idea how helpful you have been to me.

Any last minute tips, tricks and advice for this noob?

If it goes bang....it's fun!

Edited by suzhansen

Relax, take a long deep breath before the buzzer and shoot your pace and plan.

I found the first time I would watch others' plans and would change mine up until the buzzer. Watch and learn but the plan you may be changing to may not be within your initial capabilities.

I found that a little self deprecating humor helps to temper my competitive streak. My first competition stage looked nothing like it did in my head or on tv. I went faster than my pace and I finished that stage with more targets than ammo. After the first half of the day's stages I was much more comfortable. By the end of the next day I even beat a couple of pros on a stage.

Above all else, have fun.

Relax, take a long deep breath before the buzzer and shoot your pace and plan.

I found the first time I would watch others' plans and would change mine up until the buzzer. Watch and learn but the plan you may be changing to may not be within your initial capabilities.

I found that a little self deprecating humor helps to temper my competitive streak. My first competition stage looked nothing like it did in my head or on tv. I went faster than my pace and I finished that stage with more targets than ammo. After the first half of the day's stages I was much more comfortable. By the end of the next day I even beat a couple of pros on a stage.

Above all else, have fun.

Thank you Striped1...

Yes....humor. Got that in my bag. Put it on top of my competitive streak so I can grab it first.

Isn't that the case? Wish we look smooth like the pros and the way we do in our heads!!

Ok....humor & have fun!

Got it!

***If it goes bang....it's fun!***

Don't be afraid to ask for help. 3 gun shooters are generally the nicest in shooting sports and welcome new shooters. If you need gear, advice or just want someone with more experience to help mentor you should be able to get it without issue.

Be safe and have fun.

it really isn't much different than your pistol game, make a plan, watch your muzzle control, watch your sights lift, etc. Some people are intimidated by the shotgun, pick some loading spots and try to stick to them, it is far better to take an extra .2 to hit the target than to have to load another shell because you missed it really quick. If you are using a loose, race style pistol holster, tighten it up so your pistol doesn't hop out of it while moving or going prone, 3 gun matches are not won on draw speed.

Have fun, it is a blast!

Hurley

Let people know it's your first 3 gun match, and are open to advice and critique. I don't offer advice to people I don't know. They may have taken classes, and follow the style of the instructor. I may ask why they did something a certain way after they shot though. ;)