Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me decide: Edge or Apeiro

CaptainOverkill

In the next month or so I plan to purchase a 2011 for USPSA Limited, and I've narrowed it down to these two. I have never shot either. I've never shot a sight tracker. I don't know anyone who owns either for me to try out. I THINK I would really like a sight tracker, but from a pure aesthetic standpoint I'm not crazy about slide finish or serrations on the Apeiro. Aesthetics don't really matter to me as much as the way it shoots, though, so I could live with it. The $600ish price difference isn't inconsequential, but I'm willing to spend more if it gets me "more" gun. Any feedback from those who have owned/shot both?

Though I haven't shot an Apeiro, I've shot many sight trackers and I can't say I notice a difference compared to my Edge... At least not when I put both to a test using a timer. I can track sights equally well with both styles. It's your money, spend it on what makes you happy, then practice a bunch.

Ive had a sight tracker (gans custom) and I really couldn't notice a difference between it and my Sti eagle ... Even at the range going really slow deliberately trying to see the difference I really couldn't ... I'm sure somebody with a lot more talent than me could tell a slight diff but for me it just wasn't there ... I would keep the extra money $600 can get a lot of reloading components or get u a full set of mags .. Good luck won't go wrong with either choice but I would go with a edge they are great guns

I would keep the extra money $600 can get a lot of reloading components or get u a full set of mags

I like the way you think...lol. Coming from Glocks the price of mags is...depressing. I guess the ratio is about the same as the price difference between the guns though...

It sounds like the Edge (which was my original plan) is likely the way I'll go. Look forward to seeing what others have to say.

I've owned an Dawson tuned edge, own an Aperio, and a DVC all in 40 s&w; the DVC is the best of them all. Better trigger, ignition parts, better grip, tool less guide rod, more durable coating on barrel, more accurate, and I'm faster shooting it than the Aperio.

If I were to do it again I'd get a tuned DVC from Atlas with a metal grip or a Brazos fully worked edge.

Between and edge and Apeiro, the apeiro is much better....... Lighter slide+heavier barrel= less muzzle rise. Apeiro has scheumman AET barrel. And it is a sight tracker. If you can call your shots I think you will notice a pretty significant difference between a sight tracker and a non-sight tracker. I found it to be easier to follow the sights with it..............

I had the DVC and the Apeiro for awhile. I weighed out the components and the slides were nearly identical in weight. The dust cover was a bit lighter on the DVC but the apeiro barrel was significantly heavier. The stock trigger is better on the DVC. I really liked the DVC and had hard to time choosing between the two. The DVC seemed more accurate with every bullet type. However, I ended up keeping the Apeiro and selling the DVC. I just found it easier to track the sights with the apeiro.

If you don't care about the sight tracker function I would get the DVC. It's a better value for the money and it's sweet looking to boot!

Sight trackers are cool, i.e. slide is automatically lightened

I made half of my A class scores with an Akai sight tracker and the other half with a Para with a lightened slide

In reality there seems to be no practical difference

I'm back to shooting a standard lightened slide Akai

for what its worth, save the money and use it for components to practice with

Good fortune

jcc7x7

Thanks for all of the feedback. I think the DVC and more semi-custom (CK, Atlas, Brazos) guns are awesome, but I'm trying not go down the rabbit hole of "X is only a little more than Y. Oh yeah, Z is only a little more than X..." This will be my first 2011, and I'm not sure I want to sink $3000+ into just the gun right off the bat. I still have to buy mags, a holster, and all of that stuff first. My original plan was to buy an Edge, shoot it for a while, and if the 2011 becomes "the gun" for me, buy a higher end gun and keep the Edge as a backup. The potential of spending a little more (well, the equivalent of a new Glock more!) to get a sight tracker intrigued me, but it sounds like I'll be just fine with the Edge.

Edited by CaptainOverkill

If you can spend a little extra get the DVC over the edge. I think the edge comes with a 126mm magazine that is worthless for limited. The DVC comes with 3 - 140mm mags (or is it two?) and the reduced and textured grip so that alone almost makes up the price difference. It's almost like your getting an upgraded trigger, hard chrome finish, coated barrel, and slide cuts for free!

If you can't swing the extra cash don't worry. The Edge will take you as far as you want to go in the sport.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Ah, I didn't realize the DVC came with 2-3 mags. I thought they all came with just 1 mag. I figured the 126mm mag would be fine for the last mag in my belt which I never use anyway and even if I did would probably not run empty.

I was talking to a local gunsmith earlier who builds 2011s (that are out of my price range), and he mentioned he might sell his Limited gun...Tactical 5.0 in 40 with a Dawson magwell, FO sights, 3 140mm mags, etc. He's going to come up with a price, and I might consider that if the price is right (meaning if I could flip it for at least what I have in it if I change my mind).

Consider one of the Dawson or brazos tuned edges. Not much more $ but you get a nicer trigger, hard chrome and they will make sure the gun really runs before sending it to you (plenty of guys find their edge out of the box needed some tuning to get it running 100%).

You guys ruined me. I got an extra paycheck this month, so I said "what the heck" and bought a DVC Limited. Should be here this week.

The only 40 ammo I have is loaded fairly short for my Glock - about 1.135". 200 gr Blue Bullet at 840-850 fps in my G35. What are the chances this stuff will work OK in the DVC? Should I try an initial break in with factory ammo? My understanding is that I'll want to start loading longer ammo (1.180ish) for this thing to run optimally. Does anyone have a "favorite" load they'd recommend?

If you already have them loaded, give them a try. Most run 1.180 to minimize feeding issues. As for a load, I run Acme 200gr RN over 4.0gr of N320 loaded to 1.180". Gets me a little over 170pf out of a my 5" Schueman bull barreled limited gun.

The DVC I owned ran 1.135" glock loads perfectly. No issues whatsoever. I wouldn't bother loading to 1.18" unless you run into feeding issues. That way your loads will work in your STi and your glocks. :)

Break in? WHat's that? lol I never did anything special. I ran my 172PF reloads in mine from the very beginning. I would be interested to hear how others "broke in" their pistols. I might be doing it wrong. I just don't know. lol