Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just starting to load 40cal major

Dirtchevy841

To ArmyADub1 Is there any reason behind of why you are loading short BBI bullets. I am using 165gr for my open 40 and recently ordered their 180gr for my Edge. The reason behind I asked this because, I have lot of problem in feeding when loading 1.185oal to my open STI,. In short, I went to 1.155 and this oal work perfectly. I was thinking that you might also have a reason behind why you went down to that length or maybe perhaps we have the same problem. I am trying to quote on your post but my computer won't let me.Thank you..

Edited by tanfoglio1911

Just been working up a load with my ideal powder - N340! What a disappointment.

5.5 grain @180 GN Bayou Bullets TC only got me a factor of 140 (1.20OAL) despite what the Vihtavouri tables suggest.

Will try out the N320 that I have

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Something is rotten in Denmark. You are not even in the same ball park as compared to the reloading guide. You should not be that far off.

What gun are you shooting? What is the barrel length? How old is the powder. Has it been stored properly? Does you chrono read correctly (compared to the reloading guide for other loads that you have tried?

Go back and recheck everything possible and try again if you really like the poweder, or switch to the 320 like you suggested and all will be well.

• 1 month later...

Just been working up a load with my ideal powder - N340! What a disappointment.

5.5 grain @180 GN Bayou Bullets TC only got me a factor of 140 (1.20OAL) despite what the Vihtavouri tables suggest.

Will try out the N320 that I have

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

agree with mjohn this is strange and should be rechecked:

I get 167 PF with 5.3 gr N340 and 180 SNS cast coated bullet, 169 PF with slightly more than 5.3 gr (5.3+ as I call it) which has become my usual practice and local match load.

Eric